Skip to main content

Tuition fees at SDU


Tuition fee

Degree Students (explanation for a Degree Student)

Non-EU/EEA citizens are required to pay tuition. The tuition fee differs slightly from programme to programme. Check the section below about the prices to find the exact price of the Faculty you want to register for.

As a full degree student, you must pay the first semester’s tuition before arrival.

NOTE: Are you admitted to a programme, SDU will NOT start your visa application until we have received your tuition fee payment. Therefore, it can be a good idea to pay with a credit card since that kind of payment is registered immediately.

Guest students (explanation for a Guest Student)

All guest students pay tuition. Your nationality determines how much you pay. Tuition also varies according to your choice of courses. Check the section below about the prices to find the exact price for you as a guest student.

A tuition fee-paying full degree student going on an exchange stay arranged by SDU will still pay the tuition fee to SDU. A tuition fee-paying full degree student going on a self-arranged exchange stay and afterward getting the obtained credits transferred, will not pay the tuition fee for the ECTS-credits obtained abroad. The student will pay the tuition fee in advance to SDU, and will then get the tuition fee for the obtained ECTS points refunded.

You do NOT pay tuition fees if you are:

  • an Exchange student 
  • a student doing a full degree with an EU/EEA or Swiss citizenship
  • a student doing a full degree with a non-EU/EEA citizenship holding a permanent residence permit in Denmark
  • a student with a residence permit granted based on family reunification (if the permanent residence is in Denmark)
  • a student who has been granted residence in Denmark according to the EU rules and regulations
  • Children of workers from non-EU/EEA countries with a residence permit pursuant to Article 9, section 1 (1-3) of the Danish Aliens Act and whose parents have been granted residence permits according to the necessary rules and regulations

A full-degree student with a non-EU/EEA citizenship, holding a temporary residence permit in Denmark must pay tuition fees in some cases.  The article in the given residence permit decides if the tuition fees must be paid or not. Contact the Admission Office to find out if your residence permit results in paying tuition fees or not.

If you wish to apply for an exemption of tuition fees, you must document your residential status by submitting a copy of your residence permit/passport alongside your application.

The tuition covers educational expenses, such as courses, academic supervising, and issuing of diplomas and exams.

The tuition differs according to the study programme or individual course you are registered for. Check the section "prices" below for the specific price.

After you have been admitted, you will receive the payment information by email - it will be sent to the email stated in your application.
It is possible to pay by credit card or bank transfer.

If you pay with a credit card we will be notified of your payment immediately. If you pay via bank transfer it takes up to 21 days before your payment is shown in our account.

NOTE: if you apply for a programme at SDU the payment via bank transfer might slow down the process of your visa. SDU will first start your visa application once the payment is received.

To check the specific prices, click on the Faculty you are registered/want to register for: 

Tuition at the Faculty of Humanities

Tuition at the Faculty of Science

Tuition at the Faculty of Business and Social Science

Tuition at the Faculty of Health Science

Tuition at the Faculty of Engineering

Tuition for Guest students

Terms of Payment at the University of Southern Denmark

(All information concerning study rules and prices are subject to change)

Who is required to pay tuition fees?

  • Degree students with a non-EU/EEA citizenship
  • EU and non-EU guest students

(Applies to full degree students on master and bachelor level)

  • Students with a non-EU/EEA citizenship who hold a temporary residence permit “with a view to/possibility of” being granted permanent residence in Denmark. Your residence permit must state: “mhp. Varigt ophold” or “mmf varigt ophold”
  • Students with dual citizenships in EU and non-EU countries
  • Students who are in Denmark as accompanying children of alien/foreigners having obtained a Danish residence permit on the grounds of employment pursuant to § 9m of the Danish Aliens Act (590).
  • Students with a residence permit granted based on of family reunification

Tuition fee conditions

Payment deadline:

For students commencing their first semester of studies, the payment deadline is 14 days after issuance. The early payment ensures your spot at the university and is vital in your application for a residence permit. For students already enrolled at SDU, the payment deadline for the fall semester is 15 August and for the spring semester 1 January.

If the fee is not paid by this date, the admission will be cancelled. Please note, that it is not possible to extend the deadline or pay in instalments.

The payment for each semester is a condition of your enrolment at the University of Southern Denmark. If your enrolment remains cancelled, we are obliged to notify the Immigration Service about this, and you will lose your residence permit.

The tuition fee covers educational expenses, such as courses, academic supervising, issuing of diplomas, exams, etc. Please note that tuition does not cover equipment for the exam such as computers, printers, calculators, or the like.

Conditions of payment:
Your study programme comprises a certain amount of ECTS credits. A semester’s workload equals 30 ECTS credits (3 – 30 per course). You must pay in advance of each semester and continue to do so until the completion of your degree. The fee cannot be paid in instalments.

Rights and obligations:
During a semester, you have the right to complete as many activities offered within the program (projects and/or courses) as you wish. If you complete activities for less than 30 credit points per semester you must also pay full tuition.

If you do not complete your studies within the normal period of study, you have the right to complete your studies in the course of another academic year without paying tuition fees as payment for the full degree has already been made. Make sure to contact the payment office if this becomes relevant for you.

SDU is obligated to notify Immigration Services if you are delayed with more than 60 ECTS in your studies.

If you cancel your programme seat after having paid the tuition fee, the University of Southern Denmark will not reimburse the tuition fee except in cases of exceptional unforeseen circumstances such as failure to meet the entry requirements, lack of residence permit, serious illness, national service, and pregnancy.

Each case will be treated individually. Written documentation must be handed in before reimbursement can take place. When applying for reimbursement, state your full name, CPR, reasons, and documentation for cancelling your studies. Documentation means a doctor’s note, death certificate, etc.

The original and signed document, as well as the English or Danish translation by a notary, MUST be handed in before 1 December for the Fall semester / 1 April for the Spring semester. Please state your NEM account number (if in Denmark) or your international account number, SWIFT, and IBAN codes as well.

Leave of absence
It is possible to apply for leave of absence in case of exceptional circumstances. It is not possible to obtain a refund of tuition fees for a semester that has already commenced (e.g. if performance at examinations does not live up to expectations) except in case of serious illness and death (partner or member of immediate family).

You must inform the university about the leave of absence. If you are granted a leave of absence you remain enrolled at the university. You cannot, however, take part in lectures or exams as long as you are on leave.

Please be aware that your residency permit will be cancelled while you are on leave and you must reapply when you wish to continue your studies. You are subject to the general rules of leave of absence at the university during your leave. Make sure to read the rules:

Credit transfer
It is possible to apply for a reduction in the tuition fees if you have courses in addition to your qualifying exam that could count towards the degree you study at the University of Southern Denmark. The reduction will not take place until the last semester of your degree.

Study abroad
If you plan to study abroad as part of your studies at SDU:

  • If a student studies abroad through a partnership/exchange agreement, he or she must still pay tuition fees to the University of Southern Denmark
  • If a student studies abroad outside a partnership/exchange agreement, he or she does not have to pay tuition fees for the amount of ECTS point that can be approved by the study board. The student will pay the tuition fees to the University of Southern Denmark in advance and then be reimbursed for the amount, which equals the approved ECTS.

Actions when failing to pay tuition fees
If you fail to pay your tuition fees within the deadline, your enrolment at the university will be cancelled.

Payment in case of changed residence status in Denmark
Students who are granted a permanent residence permit in Denmark during a semester must pay tuition fees until the following semester (according to Bekendtgørelse om Tilskud og Revision m.v. ved universiteterne § 2, stk. 5, 6 og 7).

If a student’s status changes during a semester to the effect that the student no longer holds a permanent residence permit in Denmark, tuition fees must be paid from the following semester. Students are required to provide the university with documentation of any such change of status.

To apply for reimbursement or reduction due to credit transfer, please contact the Payment Office via mail: However, note, that it is necessary to apply for credit transfer at your Study Board before you can apply for a reduction in tuition fees by means of credit transfer.

SDU has solely scholarships for Master's programmes.

More information about the scholarships can be found at a special scholarship section.

How does Brexit affect you?

Check the detailed information given by the Ministry of Higher Education and Science in Denmark.

Studies over three months require a residence permit.

The process of applying for a residence permit or visa depends on your citizenship. Check the following link to find more information about the residence permit.