All international applicants must document their language knowledge for either English and/or Danish when applying to University of Southern Denmark.
To Bachelor's programmes taught in English, you must document English language qualifications equivalent to the level of English taught at Danish high school ('gymnasium') and/or Danish language knowledge on high level for Danish taught Bachelor's programmes.
English language requirements
How to prove your English language knowledge
- A Danish high school diploma with English B, minimum grade 3,0 (Danish 7 point grading scale)
- A high school diploma from an EU/EEA country may be enough to document your English skills . You need to document the number of English lessons per week (60 min. lessons), number of weeks per school year and the number of years you have attended high school. You must add SDU's document Statement of Hours, filled in, stamped and signed by the high school. Though the English language course must be passed with the minimum grade 3,0 on the Danish 7 point grading scale.
- An English language test
Which test does SDU accept
- TOEFL iBt test with a minimum score of 88 - Ask the test center to send the score report directly to SDU, to select University of Southern Denmark, use the code 7969 (please choose "other - department not listed"). If you have taken the test already, you can still make a request for the test center to forward the report. Please attach a message to your application once you have made such a request.
- IELTS academic test with a minimum overall band score of 6.5
- CAE with a minimum result of C, or the CPE (the CAE or CPE are only accepted from a Cambridge Network or from University of Michigan) - Please send your ID number (e.g. EPA123456) and your secret number (4 digits) to us. You will find these on the Confirmation of Entry forwarded by the test center.
If the programme you are applying for requires English at a high level (Danish: English A), your test score must be on a high level as well, i.e. either TOEFL iBt with a minimum score of 100 or the IELTS with a minimum score of 7.0
Notice that TOEFL and IELTS tests older than 2 years by the time of applying, will not be accepted. The CAE is valid for good.
Danish Language requirements
Applicants with a foreign high school diploma, must document their Danish language knowledge when applying to a Danish taught Bachelor's programme, even if they do have the Danish citizenship and talk Danish fluenty.
How to prove your Danish language knowledge
- A General Cerificate of Secondary High School from Denmark (Folkeskolens afgangsprøve) in combination with the diploma of a foreign high school
- A passed single course Dansk A
- The Higher Education Examination - Studieprøven (All 4 parts must be passed with at least grade 02 (Danish 7-scale, unless you are applying for Clinical Biomechanics or Medicine, where the minimum grade for all parts is grade 7. From 2018 on, the examination contains 3 parts only, but the grade requirement stays the same)
- A proficiency in Norwegian/Swedish/Finnish/Icelandic equivalent to a Danish A level
This requirement applies to all Danish taught Bachelor's / Professional Bachelor's programmes even if it is not mentioned on the specific page of the programme under the section 'entry requirements'.
An applicant might qualify for an exemption from documenting the English skills if the qualifying first degree (bachelor/undergraduate degree of 180 ECTS) was taken in the USA, Canada (English speaking part), Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom or Ireland.
NOTE: if your qualifying degree is only partly taught in one of the above countries, you are not exempted from documenting your English skills but must fulfill the English language requirement as described in of of the sections above.
Distance-learning educations do NOT exempt an applicant from documenting their English language proficiency.
It is not sufficient to enclose a letter from your home university. Not even if the language of instruction at your home university is English.
Documentation should be added to your application on www.optagelse.dk before 5 July, noon.