The guiding principle of the project is to provide a framework for understanding the complex and multifaceted nature of the small-scale sport event tourism leverage on host community. Moreover, to ensure guidance on how to create successful and sustainable small-scale event sport by developing a conceptual model that recognizes its importance (role), strengths and weaknesses, the barriers which it faces, and the opportunities which it will create for host communities.
The project will:
- allow a better understanding of the increase in sport tourism and of the growing attention of the industry, of the government and of the research in this field
- analyze how small-scale sport event tourism fits with the concept of sport tourism generally
- recognize the tourism potential of small-scale sport events and competitions
- explore the interrelationship, if any, between spectator sport and tourism behavior
- understand the need for further research examining small-scale sport event com-petitions and their potential role in tourism marketing and development
- describe how interdisciplinary research can advance the understanding of sport tourism as an academic sub-discipline and industry sector.