As per 1 September 2021 PhD theses submitted to the PhD School at the Faculty of Business and Social Sciences must be handed in digitally through uploading via SDU’s Research Portal (PURE)
Procedures for uploading your PhD thesis in PURE
Your PhD thesis is officially handed in once it is uploaded in PURE. This means that your PhD thesis, required attachments and administrative documents must be submitted on the date of expiry of your PhD study at the latest. In brief, the procedure is as follows:
1. You must upload the final and complete version of your PhD thesis in PURE including both a Danish and English abstract in PDF-format. The following documents must be attached:
• Statement from your principal supervisor and co-author statement, if any (jointly uploaded in PDF-format)
• Activity overview (separately uploaded in PDF-format)
2. After uploading your PhD thesis will automatically be checked for plagiarism by SDUB in accordance with the existing procedures
3. After the plagiarism check SDUB will forward your PhD thesis and administrative documents to the PhD School via FileSender for assessment
4. The PhD School will send your PhD thesis to the assessment committee and your principal super-visor
5. SDUB will ensure that your PhD thesis is made available in PURE to the public in due time before the PhD defence once your PhD thesis is recommended for PhD defence, unless an embargo period or permission not to publish your thesis digitally has been agreed upon. If exceptions are made, you must hand in a printed version of your thesis to the PhD School Secretariat in order to ensure that the PhD thesis is made available to the public in due time before the PhD defence, cf PhD Order section 19 (2).
When uploading your thesis you will be asked to confirm whether you allow e-publication. If you accept to have your file for the assessment committee published, it will be published via PURE once your thesis has been recommended for PhD defence by the assessment committee.
Detailed information about procedures for submission, publishing, copyright, etc. is available at SDUB’s website in English and Danish.
Copyright issues for article based PhD theses
As a general rule all PhD theses from SDU must be published digitally through PURE. If exceptions are to be made, it requires written permission.
Please make sure to clarify any copyright issues regarding your articles before submission in PURE.
If your thesis consists of co-authored articles, you must make sure that approved and signed co-author statements are uploaded parallel to the upload of your thesis in PURE.
In PURE it is possible to select whether the complete thesis can be published digitally. If your thesis contains articles which cannot be published parallel to the original version due to copyright issues, you can upload a redacted version of your thesis which allows you to upload an additional document without articles which will be e-published and thus, can be made publicly accessible on the Research Portal. The complete version of the PhD thesis including all articles will be forwarded to the PhD School in connection with the assessment of the thesis.
In case of any copyright issues and if publication via PURE is not permitted, your thesis must be published in print. You must submit a printed version of your PhD thesis to the PhD School Secretariat after uploading your PhD thesis in PURE for the assessment committee. The PhD School will forward the printed version to SDUB after the assessment committee has recommended your thesis for PhD defence. SDUB will see to that the printed version is made available to the public at the SDUB Special Collections Reading Room, a supervised reading room at SDU Odense, in due time before the PhD defence in accordance with the PhD Order section 19 (2).
PLEASE CONTACT The SDUB before printing any copies of the thesis PhDsubmission@bib.sdu.dk
Layout and printing of your PhD dissertation
SDU has prepared a Word template for PhD dissertations to ensure you have the right layout, fonts, logo and colours for figures, etc. The template is available directly in Word through the Templafy add-on. Check out Graphic Center’s website www.sdu.dk/grafiskcenter before you start writing.
If you need help with design, consulting or printing, please contact Graphic Center. The PhD School can help with any questions regarding administration.
It will be possible to apply for an embargo period for the publication of your thesis. This might be the relevant
if you are negotiating with another publisher, in case of copyrighted articles, etc.
If exceptions from the above procedures are to be made, you will have to fill in SDUB’s application form in due time before submission of your thesis (preferably two to three months before submission of your thesis)
SDUB is responsible for the approval of applications regarding embargo (up to 12 months) and prolongation of the embargo period on behalf of the PhD School. Please contact SDUB for further guidance about how to apply for an embargo period or permission not to publish your thesis digitally.
If you have any questions regarding the procedures for submission of your PhD thesis in PURE, please do not hesitate to contact SDUB.