From basic research to new sustainable solutions
The Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy is a department focused on basic research. We are happy to move beyond traditional disciplines and work to develop new technologies and sciences across physics, chemistry, pharmacy, mathematics, computer science and biology.
It is our vision to create and exploit knowledge that contributes to solving the UN's World Goals. The Department’s research thus contributes to new knowledge and solutions with applications in the areas of climate, environment, energy and health.
Among other things, our research includes:
- Biophysics on soft materials
- Photovoltaic Cells
- Pharmaceutical Design
- Molecular Understanding of Neurological Diseases
- Modified DNA
- Pharmaceuticals and Molecular Diagnostics
- Molecular design of probes for diagnosing
- Energy transport in biological systems including artificial photosynthesis
- Polymers for improving materials
- Membrane curvature for the cure of cancers
- The spread of Infectious disease related to the COVID19 pandemic
- Chemical and physical processes for imitation of fundamental life processes
- Theoretical high-energy physics with studies on how physical mass occurs
- Particle physics, astrophysics and cosmology
In several areas of research we are among the world's or Europe's leading.
Students with strong competences
The Department carries out bachelor's degrees in chemistry, physics and pharmacy, as well as master's degrees in chemistry, pharmaceuticals, pharmacy and physics. We are aware that when students choose us, they put theirs, and thus society's future in terms of technological development and green transformation, in our hands. Therefore, we prioritise that they get the best possible education by attracting highly qualified researchers from both Denmark and abroad. The quality of the courses and the students' experience of working in interdisciplinary research groups make them demandable employees in industry, government agencies and knowledge and research institutions. Our candidates have an unemployment rate close to zero.
Cooperation with external partners and local companies
In the Region of Southern Denmark, the Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy is a powerhouse for new knowledge and research, and we have been involved in the establishment of several innovative companies. It is important for us to host new start-ups and businesses in the future, as well as working with companies, educational institutions and other external partners. In this way, we contribute to solutions to global challenges. Read more about cooperation.
Safe and secure working environment
At the Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy, it is important that both students and employees thrive so that we can perform our best every day. That is why we are committed to ensuring that everyone contributes to a safe and secure working environment. We prioritize diversity and have an employee division that reflects society. Read more about working environment.
Centres of Excellence
The following Centres of Exellence are part of the Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy:
- Centre for Cosmology and Particle Physics Phenomenology (CP3-Origins)
- The Biomolecular Nanoscale Engineering Center (BioNEC)
Number of employees: approx. 160
Number of students: approx. 500 spread over all year groups
Area: approx. 7700 m2 offices and newly renovated laboratories