English language requirements
If you apply for a Master’s programme taught in English, you must prove a level of English equivalent to a standard Danish high school level. If you have finished a Bachelor’s degree at a Danish university, you need no further documentation.
If your Bachelor’s degree is from another country, or if you have a professional Bachelor’s degree, you must document your level of English. The deadline for doing this is May 15 if you apply for admission in September, and December 1 if you apply for admission in February. There are a number of ways you can prove your level:
- A Danish high school diploma with English B.
- A Danish Professional Bachelor’s degree taught entirely in English - if the language of instruction is not clearly stated in your diploma supplement, please have your school confirm it in writing.
- A diploma from an EU/EEA high school may be enough to prove your proficiency. You need to document the number of English lessons per week (60 min. lessons), number of weeks per school year and the number of years you have attended high school. You must use SDU's Statement of Hours, which must be signed and stamped by the high school. You must submit both your full high school diploma as well as the statement of Hours. We encourage you to forward your documents in advance via the contact form SPOC. Then we are able to make a pre-assessment.
- A language test – below you will find a list of approved tests.
You can prove your English level by way of the following language tests given that the test is no more than two years old at the time of submitting your application:
- TOEFL IBT test with a minimum score of 88. For validation, we need to receive a score report directly from the test center. To select University of Southern Denmark as recipient, use the code 7969. Please choose "other - department not listed". If you have already taken the test, you can still make a request for the test center to forward the report. Please inform us once you have made such a request.
- IELTS academic test with a minimum overall band score of 6.5
- CAE with a minimum result of C (only accepted from a Cambridge Network). For verification of your results, please make sure to give us your ID number (e.g. EPA123456) and your secret number (4 digits). If you do not have the required information for verification of your results you can find help on the Cambridge Assessment website.
- CPE (only accepted from a Cambridge Network).
Danish language requirements
If you apply for a Master's taught in Danish on the grounds of a degree taught in Danish, you do not need any further documentation of your language qualifications.
Applicants with a foreign Bachelor's degree (also Danish citizens) must pass the the Higher Education Examination (Studieprøven) or a Danish A level.
Applicants from northern countries must prove a proficiency in Norwegian/Swedish/Finnish/Icelandic equivalent to a Danish A level.