WELCOME to the TAL conference 2023 website
The main theme of the conference is activating teaching and learning which are the fundamental principles at the University of Southern Denmark, SDU. The conference intends to support practitioners’ mutual inspiration and present knowledge and experiences on how students’ learning is enhanced in accordance with the fundamental principles of SDU.
The objective of the conference is to provide for the participants an opportunity to
- share, document, demonstrate, reason and analyse their own examples of activating teaching and learning
- be inspired to develop their own practice of activating teaching and learning
This year we direct our attention to Group work - formats, function, facilitation, and effect on learning and well-being.
A large part of the students' learning in higher education - and perhaps the most important and deepest part - takes place through work in groups in seminars, practice classes, laboratories and preparation outside of class.
And many higher education institutions are officially based on the Study Activity Model which sets the norm for study activities in and outside of teaching hours, and which in practice depends on well-functioning study groups.
Finally, working communities in groups are very crucial for the development of sense of belonging and self-efficacy related to studies and student life, which in turn is crucial for well-being and persistence.
Therefore, there are many good reasons to exchange experiences on how the work in study groups can be integrated and facilitated as best as possible.
The conference target group is primarily employees at SDU and the University Colleges in the region. Meanwhile, the conference is open to everyone and abstracts and sign ups from participants from other national universities and other educational institutions are more than welcome.
TIME AND PLACE
Thursday 2 November 2023 - 09:00-15:30
5230 Odense M
|Coffee and rolls
|Keynote Ib Ravn, DPU with interactions and Q&A:
“Group work requires a facilitator – Appointing and training student facilitators are likely to improve group learning”
|Parallel sessions 1 - in Danish and English - short communications, posters, and workshops
|Parallel sessions 2 - in Danish and English - short communications and workshops
Panel discussion - Presentation of the 4 panelists
- Ib Ravn - Researcher, teacher, and advisor
- Dorte Frølund Kromann - Coordinator for study start and student counselling, TEK, SDU
- Mathias Mihkel Frost Jakobsen - BA student in English, SDU
- Maria Elo - Associate Professor, Dep. of Business and Management, SDU
|Closing statements - Safe trip home!
In the parallel sessions we invite you to share your teaching experiences regarding the following tracks:
- TAL2023 main theme: Teaching for active learning
- TAL2023 special focus: Group work - formats, function, facilitation, and effect on learning and well-being, e.g.:
- Students’ professional and/or personal development through group work
- Student partnership in developing different group work formats
- Instruments, methods, and challenges for facilitation and for improving students’ motivation and competences to work in groups in and out of class – tools and good practice
- Students' different roles in the group
- Interdisciplinary group work
- Exam formats for assessing students' group work competences
- Helping staff and faculty implementing effective group work in different practices
- Other ......
- Overall conference programme
- Overview of presentations, posters, and workshops. There is no pre-registration for any of the sessions.
- Book of Abstracts: Short Communications, Posters, and Workshops – subject to minor changes
- Keynote Ib Ravn's slides - Group Work Requires a Facilitator
FORMATS for contributions
- Short communication: each presenter will have 10 minutes to share an experience and reflections, followed by 10 minutes of discussion.
- Posters will be presented on Campustorvet with 5 minutes' individual presentation followed by a short discussion of each poster.
- Workshops will be approx. 60 minutes.
Contributors to TAL2023 will be invited to also contribute to the conference proceedings.
Keynote and panel discussion will be in English, whereas there will be parallel sessions in Danish and English, morning and afternoon.
SDU Centre for Teaching and Learning
For questions of a practical nature, please contact Anne Grete Petersen, firstname.lastname@example.org