Skip to main content

Admission with an exam from outside the EU/EEA

To be admitted, you must hold an exam that is on par with a Danish upper secondary education.

In the following overview, you can, for a range of countries, see which exams are equivalent to a Danish upper secondary education - and what documentation you need to attach for your examination.

Overview of International school leaving certificates (PDF)

If your country is not listed, you can send your diploma to pre-assessment, or alternatively, we will assess your exam after you apply.

Usually, it requires one year of higher education after the high school exam to be admitted to a 3-year bachelor's programme. Admission to a 3.5-year engineering programme is often possible with a high school exam alone.

All SDUs education programmes require you to have passed certain subjects at certain levels. 

The requirements refer to the Danish upper secondary school system, where A is high level, B is intermediate level and C is introductory level. We assess your subject levels when we process your application or in connection with a possible pre-assessment (see below). 

View the programme requirements here

As an applicant with a foreign educational background, you must document your language skills, regardless of whether Danish/English is listed as part of the programme’s course requirements:

  • You must document your Danish language skills if you apply for admission to a Danish-language programme – even if you are a Danish citizen.
  • You must document your English language skills, regardless of the language of the programme.

See how to document your language skills

You must apply no later than 15 March at 12:00 noon

With a foreign exam, you must always apply for admission no later than 15 March at 12:00.

Documents to include in your application:

  • Your upper secondary school diploma
  • Documentation for any other relevant education
  • Statement of Hours (.pdf) if required in your case (please, refer to the requirements above)
  • Separate documentation for language proficiency, cf. the language requirements

Documentation must be in English, German or a Scandinavian language. If your diploma is issued in another language, you must include an official translation (certified by a translator) into one of these languages. 

You must participate in SDU's admission test

As a rule, exams from outside of EU/EEA do not give access to the quota of study places allocated based on grade point average (quota 1). Therefore you must pass SDU's admission test, uniTEST,  to qualify for the quota of study places allocated based on test results (quota 2). 

Learn more about uniTEST

Pre-assessment option

Between 1 October–15 November, we can pre-assess your exam, including whether your exam is sufficient proof of language proficiency.

Read more about the opportunity here

Are you a citizen outside the EU/EEA?

If you are a citizen outside the EU/EEA, you must upload a copy of your residence permit in Denmark if applicable.

As a non-EU/EEA citizen, you may also be required to pay tuition fees to study Read more about tuition fees and exemptions here.

Last Updated 04.04.2024