Welcome to the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. We have collected the best research, education and study environment within mathematics and computer science in our corner of SDU.
The researchers at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science create knowledge through research within a broad range of areas from computer science, pure and applied mathematics, statistics, data science and artificial intelligence (AI).
The research is organized in six main research groups:
- Algorithms (online algorithms, combinatorial optimization, graph theory and algorithmic cheminformatics).
- Topology, Algebra, Analysis and Geometry (operator algebras, non-commutative geometry and quantum mathematics).
- Computational science (numerical and stochastic analysis, mathematical modelling and computational quantum field theory).
- Artificial Intelligence, Cybersecurity and Programming Languages (microservices, edge and cloud computing, DevOps, quantitative behavioral models, automated reasoning and cybersecurity).
- Data science and statistics (extreme value theory, Bayesian inference, population dynamics, machine learning, data mining and data visualization).
- STEM Education and Science Communication.
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is also home to these research centres:
- Centre for Quantum Mathematics (QM) is focused on the mathematical foundation of quantum phenomena covering both foundations and applications in quantum engineering.
- SDU eScience Center is a single point of reference for research e-infrastructure and front-office support at SDU. Since 2015, the eScience Center has been a national provider for HPC in Denmark and now also has a coordinating role in the new consortia for DeiC HPC Type 1, Type 3 and Project 5 for national HPC facilities in Denmark.
- Laboratory for Coherent Education and Learning, where we develop further training and education for teachers in collaboration with regional partners.
At the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science we cooperate with researchers from all over the world, and many of our researchers have an international background. See more about our research training programmes.
We offer a variety of study programmes within Mathematics, Computer Science and Didactics:
- Bachelor's degree programmes in Applied mathematics, Computer science, Mathematics, and Mathematics-Economics.
- Master's degree programmes in Applied mathematics, Computer science, Data science, Mathematics, and Mathematics-Economics
- Master's degree programme for working professionals in Computer science
- Professional Master programmes in Science teaching and Mathematics
- PhD programmes in Computer science, Mathematics, Statistics, and Science and Mathematics Teaching
Cooperation with businesses - IMADA Innovation
IMADA Innovation fosters and manages collaborations between scientists at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science (IMADA) at the University of Southern Denmark (SDU), companies, and other organisations. These collaborations can take various forms, including joint projects, consultancies, and educational offers for companies who wish to upgrade their competences.
Collaborations are both at national and international levels. IMADA Innovation provides the necessary technical, scientific, and educational know-how to carry out these activities. We work closely with the Research and Innovation Office at SDU, which provides legal and administrative support.
Read more about IMADA Innovation here.