Skip to main content

Residence Permit

Nordic citizens

Citizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden are free to enter, reside, study and work in Denmark. They do not need a visa, residence or work permit. Nordic citizens do not apply for a residence permit, but go to the National Register (Borgerservice) to get their CPR no. upon arrival in Denmark. Find more information here.

EU/EEA or Swiss Citizens

Citizens of an EU country, an EEA country or Switzerland who intend to stay in Denmark for more than 3 months must apply for a certificate of registration at the Regional State Administration. You will need your passport or your identity card, proof of health insurance ( the blue EU health insurance card), 2 passport sized photos and your letter of enrolment. More information is sent to you once you are enrolled. Find more information here.

Non EU/EEA citizens

As a rule all non-EU/EEA citizens need a visa to study in Denmark, however, there are some who are exempted from having to apply for a visa.

  • Students who hold a temporary residence permit "with a view to/possibility of" being granted permanent residence in Denmark do not pay tuition. Your residence permit must state: "mhp. varigt ophold" or "mmf varigt ophold".
  • Children of workers from non-EU/EEA countries having been granted a residence permit pursuant to Section 9M of the Danish Aliens Act and whose parents have been granted residence permits pursuant to Section 9A of the Danish Aliens Act.
  • Students with a residence permit granted on the basis of family reunification (if the permanent residence is in Denmark)

In order to obtain a visa you must be fully admitted into a programme at SDU – either as an exchange student or a full degree student (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree). This means that the visa application process cannot be commenced until after you have received confirmation of your admission. Full degree students must have paid the tuition fees before SDU starts the Visa process.

The visa application process starts online when SDU fills in the first part of the ST1 form. You can not start the process yourself. SDU sends a mail to you with username/password and further instructions to fill in part 2 of the ST1 application.

Processing your application takes about 60 days after the Danish Immigration Service has registered the total amount of your application fee and received a complete application from you. You must pay to apply, so you must apply immediately on receipt of your enrollment pack. 

Upon submitting your application for residence permit at the nearest Embassy or Consulate, you are required to submit your fingerprints and have your photo taken for your residence permit card within 14 days from submitting the application. Please note that the Consulate or Embassy may be located at quite a distance from your home.

The fee for a study permit is DKK 2000. It must be paid to The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration. This is a fee that is additional to the application- and tuition fees that SDU requires. You must also provide evidence of financial stability (see below section).

The condition for extending a residence permit is, first and foremost, that you continue to meet the conditions for your original residence permit.

you can submit your application for a extension 4 months before your residence permit expires. It is crucial that you submit your application for an extension before your current residence permit expires.

You are allowed to remain in Denmark while your application for an extension is being processed.

If you submit your application after the date your residence permit expires, you should expect your application to be rejected. This means that your application will not be processed unless special circumstances apply, such as, if you cannot be blamed for the delay, or if Denmark's international obligations warrant it. If your application is rejected, you will have to leave Denmark and apply for a new residence permit in your country of origin. Such an application will be regarded and processed as an entirely new application for a residence permit, i.e. it will be processed in accordance with the rules that apply to first-time applications. In other words, you will lose the right to an extension of your previous residence permit.

The fee for an extension is DKK 2110 (EUR 283) and must be paid to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration.

As a Bachelor student, contact to get started your ST3 application to prolong your visa. As a Master student, contact

Even if you already have obtained a residence permit for the 3 or 3.5 years of your studies, you have to apply for a 'full time work permit' for an internship if you want to take an internship during this time. The application is called ST4.

the internship must be part of the study programme or award you with ECTS credits transferable to the study programme. It is also required that the place of the internship is recognised by SDU.

SDU completes part 2 of the application form, afterwards, the student must fill in part 1 and submit the application.

There is no fee for submitting the ST4 application.

Contact us via to get started the process.


In order to be granted a residence permit, you must - amongst other criterias - document that you can support yourself with your own means during your stay in Denmark.

You must submit a Bank statement from your personal account – you cannot use statements from, e.g. your parents’ accounts. The minimum amount of money you must have in your account is 6166 DKK (2019 level) x 12 months = 73992 DKK.

Please note that your bank must be an international bank with branches in other countries than your own. This also applies to scholarship recipients whose scholarship does not cover living expenses. If you have already paid the tuition fee for at least the first semester, you do not have to show that you have the above mentioned amount in your account. However, in your ST1 application you must document that you have paid for
the semester. For further information, please go to this website

Moreover, you must submit the following to your application:

  • The admission letter you received from us through the Application Portal – you can use the letter even if it is a conditional admission letter
  • Scholarship recipients must include the letter/email that confirms that they have received a scholarship
  • If you cannot get an appointment to have your biometrics taken before submitting the application, you must submit the application and state the date of your appointment in the form

Responsible for page: SDU International

Last Updated 28.08.2018