The Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Southern Denmark (SDU) in Odense invites applications for a postdoctoral position embedded in the laboratories of the Biomolecular Nanoscale Engineering Center - BioNEC research unit. The research unit focuses on engineering of state-of-the-art oligonucleotide and peptide bioconjugates for applications in DNA-programmed chemistry, fusion of biomembranes and functional oligonucleotides for molecular sensing and oligonucleotide-based therapies.
The postdoctoral project is part of our current activities on delivery of complex biomolecules for therapeutic applications and is centred around efficient, targeted cellular delivery of CRISPR/Cas gene editing tools. Our group is specialized in syntheses of highly modified DNA and RNA oligonucleotides as well as lipidated peptides using automated solid-phase synthesis. We have expertise in the development of delivery formulations based on functionalized lipid nanoparticles and membrane-anchored biomolecules. Several advanced spectroscopic and scattering methods for particle characterization and surface plasmon analysis for binding studies are core techniques used in our group. Our lab is strongly engaged in on-site collaborations with colleagues from biophysics, molecular biology, and the university hospital as part of very interdisciplinary projects.
We are seeking a highly motivated applicant to join our BioNEC research unit for our project on efficient targeted delivery of CRISPR/Cas gene editing tools in order to complement current oligonucleotide activities within BioNEC.
The ideal candidate has the following competences and skills:
- A PhD in biochemistry, chemical biology or related disciplines with a strong molecular biology background.
- A background in nucleic acid chemistry, gene and transcript analysis techniques and bio-orthogonal conjugation.
- Research experience in automated synthesis of oligonucleotides and/or peptides.
- Documented research experience with CRISPR/Cas systems.
- Hands-on expertise in HPLC separation of nucleotides and peptides.
- Deep understanding and practical skills in RNA analysis with MALDI-MS and LC-MS.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (English) for effective teamwork across disciplines.
Additional valuable skills:
- Research expertise in preparation and characterization of soft nanoparticles (liposomes).
- Ability to design and implement experiments involving mammalian cell cultures and/or laboratory animals.
- Skills in application of variable spectroscopic techniques for detailed characterization of biomolecules.
Starting date: 1 Juli 2021 or soon thereafter. The position is for up to two years. Application deadline: 1 June 2021.
For further information please contact Associate Professor Stefan Vogel, Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Southern Denmark, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application, salary etc.
The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations). Please check links for more information on salary and taxation.
The application must include the following:
• A curriculum vitae including information on previous employment.
• A full list of publications stating the scientific publications on which the applicant wishes to rely.
Shortlisting may be used in the assessment process.
Incomplete applications and applications received after the deadline will neither be considered nor evaluated.
To qualify you must have passed a PhD or equivalent. Applications will be assessed by an expert assessor/committee. Applicants will be informed of their assessment by the university.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Applications must be submitted electronically using the link "Apply online". Attached files must be in Adobe PDF or Word format. Each box can only contain a single file of max. 10 Mb. We strongly recommend that you read How to apply before you apply.
Further information for international applicants about entering and working in Denmark.