The Department of Green Technology (IGT) at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Southern Denmark (SDU), invites applications for an associate professor position in life cycle engineering, circular economy and waste management systems. The position will be placed in the Center for Life Cycle Engineering and is available from October 1st, 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
SDU Life Cycle Engineering focuses on education and research contributing to global sustainability. With the announced position, LCE wishes to strengthen the capacity for holistic assessment of pathways towards a circular economy. The position targets both practical and technological aspects (e.g. waste and resources characterization, techno-economic analysis) and the development of key tools and methods for modelling and evaluation of material cycles within local to global economic settings.
Your past research should include modeling of processes, environmental (life cycle assessment) and economic assessment of integrated waste management systems, with specific focus on resource recovery processes such as collection, sorting and reprocessing/recycling. In addition, your experience should include application of one of the following methodologies:
- Static and dynamic material flow analysis (MFA) of resource and product systems
- Environmentally-extended input-output analysis and process/hybrid life cycle assessment (LCA)
Responsibilities and tasks:
The candidate will perform research, contribute to the teaching tasks, and share other responsibilities in the department. The candidate will engage in training of the next generation of researchers and environmental engineers, and is expected to collaborate with researchers and especially with stakeholders across sectors, including policy makers, non-governmental organizations and industry. Main activities will include:
- Teaching future engineers (MSc. courses in waste management technology, environmental assessment) and training and supervision of doctoral students;
- Develop an ambitious research program, write national and international grant proposals;
- Contribute to regional sustainability and circular economy transition strategies, including by fostering close collaboration with regional stakeholders;
- Building collaborations with researchers from other SDU departments covering a wide range of technology domains.
- You bring strong expertise and an adequate track record in the research topics listed above
- You have an adequate record of funding acquisition and project management
- You have adequate teaching experience
- You hold a relevant PhD degree
- You have a network of relevant international collaborators
- You enjoy working with complex topics using a systems perspective.
Conditions of employment
Employment as an associate professor requires scientific qualifications at PhD level.
The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Please check links for more information on salary and taxation.
The assessment process
Read about the Assessment and selection process. Shortlisting may be used.
The faculty expects applicants to read How to apply before applying.
The application must be in English and must include:
Detailed Curriculum Vitae
Certificates/Diplomas (MSc and PhD)
Information on previous teaching and supervision experience. Please attach as Teaching Portfolio
List of publications indicating the publications attached
Examples of the most relevant publications. Please attach one pdf-file for each publication
Reference letters and other relevant qualifications may also be included.
The application deadline is 15.05.2021.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Further information for international applicants about entering and working in Denmark.
Further information about The Faculty of Engineering.