Center for Sustainable Supply Chain Engineering at the Department of Technology and Innovation, University of Southern Denmark (SDU), invites in collaboration with Carlsberg Denmark for applications to a fully-funded 3-year PhD position in sustainable beverage supply chain design.
In this PhD research the focus is on implementation of new innovative packaging materials and methods and optimization of existing value chains as well as ongoing focus on re-/upcycling of beverage packaging. The starting time is 1st of December 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter, and the location is at the main campus in Odense and at Carlsberg beverage facilities in Frederica.
The PhD project
Carlsberg Breweries targets a reduction of their beer-in-hand carbon footprint/emissions with 15% by 2022 and 30% by 2030 as part of Carlsberg’s ”Together towards zero” program. This requires development and implementation of new innovative packaging materials and methods. It also requires optimization of existing value chains as well as ongoing focus on re-/upcycling of beverage primary and secondary packaging within large scale and mass production facilities.
The aim of this project is therefore to contribute to further reductions of production and supply chain waste, operational and logistics expenses as well as CO2/GHG emissions within the field of Fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) without compromising customer value experience.
The project will include mapping and modelling/simulation of Carlsberg’s current use of packaging materials as well as related value chain setup for selected categories of beverages. It will also include scouting and benchmarking of innovative packing materials and technologies (primary and secondary packaging) with key stakeholders of Carlsberg and selected vendors. Multiple perspectives (manufacturing facilities and processes, sales and marketing, logistics, financial, environmental, regulatory perspectives) and aspects as recycling, deposit schemes, branding value etc., will be considered as part of the analysis and studies.
The scientific objectives are the following:
- To conduct quality action/design research on the topic of sustainable logistics/supply chain management for the beverage industry.
- To identify and benchmark the international beverage industry and it’s potential implementing sustainable manufacturing facilities, sustainable logistics/supply chain solutions and reducing operational expenses as well as GHG / CO2 emissions.
- To develop and test methods/frameworks through action research for analysis, design and implementation of sustainable logistics/supply chain management.
- To experiment with quantitative and qualitative models within the domain of sustainable supply chain management.
- To capture results and learnings from pilot project in the domain of sustainable manufacturing facilities, processes, supply chain management, and evaluate short- and long-term challenges as well as the competitive benefits for the DK industry in specific to sustainable production and supply chain design.
- You will conduct qualitative and quantitative research in the beverage industry.
- You will develop and test models to support sustainable manufacturing facilities, sustainable logistics/supply chain solutions and reducing operational expenses as well as GHG / CO2 emissions.
- You will support the industrial partner in integrating the developed models / frameworks
- You will at instances support industry partners in implementing and using the models in daily operations
- You will publish and present your work both at international conferences and in scientific journals with high impact.
- You will assist in teaching and project supervision activities at Faculty of Engineering, University of Southern Denmark.
- MSc degree in Operations Management, Industrial Engineering or similar education (equivalent to a Danish master's degree)
- Being familiar with the daily work in a manufacturing environment and preferably within the industry of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG). Self-going in data gathering in a large-scale manufacturing context
- Having a dedicated interest in exploring the domain of circular economy and sustainable operations / supply chain management
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Comfortable working both independently and within a team
- Willingness to support industrial partners and overall research project progress
- Interested in longer term commitment to a growing research group
- Interested in contributing to teaching / supervision
- Fluent English (and preferable fluent in Danish), both spoken and written
The research environment takes place within operations management and industrial engineering. The environment is interdisciplinary with a group of PhD students and where research programs are developed in close collaboration with industry and contributes to the sustainable development within the focus area of manufacturing, circular economy, industrial and supply chain engineering management.
Further information is available from Associate Professor, PhD, Erik Skov Madsen (+4551644015; firstname.lastname@example.org) and Professor and Head, Kannan Govindan (+4565503188; email@example.com).
If you experience technical problems you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of employment
Applicants are required to have a master’s degree (equivalent to a Danish master's degree) at the time of enrollment and employment. Employment as a PhD fellow is a 3-year salaried position (start salary for newly graduated MSc degree amounts 384.936,70DKK per year incl. 17.1% pension).
Employment of a PhD fellow can only happen after the Head of the PhD School has approved the candidate for admission to the PhD school. Employment and enrollment will cease without further notice at the end of the period.
A PhD fellow is not allowed to have any kind of sideline employment, while enrolled as PhD fellow at the faculty.
Employment is governed by the Protocol on PhD Research Fellows signed by the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Please check links for more information on salary and taxation.
The successful candidate will be enrolled at SDU in accordance with Faculty regulations and the Danish Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities (PhD order), read more here.
The assessment process
Read about the Assessment and selection process. Shortlisting may be used.
The Faculty expects applicants to read the Faculty information for prospective PhD students and How to apply before applying.
The application deadline is 15th November, 2020.
The application must be in English and must include - the required forms must be found at the above mentioned Faculty website:
- Completed TEK PhD application form for 5+3 applicants.
- Motivation letter stating your specific interest, motivation and qualifications for the project in question (max. 2 pages). Upload in the field called “Project description”.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae, describing research, publication and teaching experience, computational skills and including personal contact information.
- Verified copies of the official bachelor diploma and master's diploma and transcripts of exams, both original and translated into English.
- Completed TEK PhD form for calculation grade point average. Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official document describing the grading scheme of the awarding universities (if not Danish). Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official and verified written assessment of the thesis or dissertation project from the grade giving institution, if the thesis/examination project is evaluated by approved/passed. The statement must clearly state that the candidate has been among the top 30 pct. in the graduation class for the study programme.
- Three names and e-mails of researchers who can provide an informed reference letter at short notice.
- List of publications and examples of relevant publications, if available. Please attach one pdf-file for each publication.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.