The centre for Quantum Mathematics at the The Mads Clausen Institute, University of Southern Denmark (SDU) invites applications for a number of 3-year PhD positions with emphasis on pure mathematics. The starting date for the positions is 1 August, 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter.The PhD candidate is expected to perform high-quality research as a part of the research project “Recursive and Exact New Quantum Theory (ReNewQuantum)” funded by an ERC-Synergy Grant from the European Research Council. ReNewQuantum is an ambitious project with a new approach to Quantum Theory based on advanced geometric and topological constructions.
Specifically ReNewQuantum has 3 work packages regarding quantum corrections, Quantum Field Theory and Moduli Space theory as well as a fourth WP on education, outreach and science communication in which the successful candidate is expected to take part.
Candidates with a strong pure mathematics background, in particular with emphasis on geometry and topology, are strong encouraged to apply.
The PhD students will be working closely with highly-skilled international researchers at the SDU QM Centre and the ReNewQuantum project partners. There will be possibility to make shorter or longer research stays at one or more of the three partner institutions: University of Geneva (UNIGE), Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques (IHES) and Institut de Physique Théorique (IPhT) – CEA Saclay.
The successful candidates will be expected to have:
- MSc degree in pure mathematics preferably in geometry/topology (equivalent to a Danish master's degree)
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English and ability to work independently.
The successful candidates will be affiliated with the QM Centre at the Mads Clausen Institute, University of Southern Denmark which is located at the Faculty of Engineering on the international campus in Odense, Denmark. The QM centre is newly established with the ambition to create a highly international and interdisciplinary group within a broad spectrum of pure mathematics and mathematical physics. Odense is a fast-growing international community with an open Scandinavian culture, affordable housing and living costs. For more information on the QM centre, please visit https://www.sdu.dk/en/qm.
Further information is available from Head of the QM Centre Jørgen Ellegaard Andersen at email: email@example.com.
Important information before applying
Applicants are required to have a master’s degree (equivalent to a Danish master's degree) at the time of enrollment and employment.
Employment as a PhD fellow is a 3-year salaried position. Employment of a PhD fellow can only happen after the PhD Committee has approved the candidate for admission to the PhD school. Employment and enrollment will cease without further notice at the end of the period.
A PhD fellow is not allowed to have any kind of sideline employment, while enrolled as PhD fellow at the faculty.
Employment is governed by the Protocol on PhD Research Fellows signed by the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Further information about salary and conditions of employment.
The successful candidate will be enrolled at SDU in accordance with Faculty regulations and the Danish Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities (PhD order). Upon successful completion of the PhD program, the candidate will obtain a PhD in pure mathematics.
Applications must be submitted electronically using the link "Apply online". The Faculty expects applicants to read the Faculty information for prospective PhD students and the SDU information on how to apply before applying.
The application must be in English and all non-Danish documents must be translated into English.
The applications must include the following - the required forms must be found at the above mentioned Faculty website:
- Completed TEK PhD application form for 5+3 applicants
- A motivational letter. Upload in the field called “Project description”
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Verified copies of the official bachelor diploma and master's diploma and transcripts of exams in professional English translation
- Completed TEK PhD form for calculation grade point average. Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”
- An official document describing the grading scheme of the awarding universities (if not Danish). Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”
- An official and verified written assessment of the thesis or dissertation project from the grade giving institution, if the thesis/examination project is evaluated by approved/passed. The statement must clearly state that the candidate has been among the top 30 pct. in the graduation class for the study programme.
- A research statement. Upload in the field called “Other relevant material”
- Three names and e-mails of researchers who can provide an informed reference letter at short notice
- Reference letters may also be included. You're welcome to use the form for reference letter at the Faculty website
- List of publications, in case you have any publications
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.