Below you will find general information concerning accommodation.
Our advice is that you begin to search for accommodation a long time before you arrive, as it can be difficult to find suitable accommodation especially before the beginning of a semester. AT SDU we do our very best to help you find accommodation.
The terms for housing differ slightly from campus to campus. To get all the details, look at the relevant campus (on your right hand side).
Deposit and Prepaid Rent
- The landlord may ask you to pay the first month´s rent, a deposit and prepaid rent, before you sign the contract.
The Deposit acts as a guarantee for the expenses, there might be, when you move out from the apartment. Please note, you will typically have to pay for painting, as the accommodation must be freshly painted for the next tenant. Furthermore, you will have to pay for any broken or missing item, along with cleaning, in case this is not done sufficiently when you move out.
- The amount for the deposit is typically the same amount as 3 months of rent.
- The Prepaid Rent is also typically the same amount as 3 months of rent. Prepaid rent is intended to be used from the time, you terminate the tenancy agreement, and until you move out of the apartment.
Conditions for terminating your contract
In Denmark, you usually have a three months termination period for your lease. This means, you will be liable for rent for three months after you have handed in your termination. Furthermore, you are often liable for the 14 days maintenance period following your date of moving-out. In other cases, your lease may be limited to a certain date. In that case, you do not have to hand in a termination, but simply move out in the expiration date specified in your contract.
As such, please make sure to read your lease contract carefully and take note of the termination period.
In Denmark it is very common to take out contents insurance. If you choose not to take out insurance for your housing, you should be aware that there is no coverage for you in case of burglary or fire.
Study start is unfortunately the peak season for accommodation fraudsters who are ingeniously and creatively trying to scam the accommodation seekers with fake ads, money under the table or accommodation they do not own.
We strongly advise to use the accommodation offers that SDU provides. If you, however, decide to seek accommodation on your own, please keep these guidelines in mind:
- Please be aware of unrealistic cheap accommodation offers in comparison to other accommodation offers in the neighbourhood.
- Never pay money under the table in order to move up in the queue. It is illegal and you have no legal possibility to have your money back.
- We strongly advise against using Western Union or other online payment services as your payment is untraceable and there is no possibility for you to have your money back.
- Never pay rent or deposit upfront before having seen the accommodation.
In Denmark every household has to pay a media license if the household has any electrical appliances such as TV, radio, video, DVD, computer with internet access, smartphone or similar electronic devices that work as a television or radio receiver. You can find more information about it here.