Skip to main content

Exchange of driving license


When moving to Denmark, you might have to exchange your driver's license for a Danish one and in some cases, pass a new test in order to drive legally.

EU/EEA licenses

If your license is issued in an EU/EEA country or in the Faroe Islands, you may not need to exchange your driver's license for a Danish one. You may drive the same vehicles in Denmark as you are allowed to drive on your license in the country of issue.
Important: If your driver's license is valid for more than 15 years, you are required to exchange your license for a Danish one within two years of taking up residence in Denmark. We advise you to check the rules on driving in Denmark, as there are some exceptions.

You need to bring the following documentation:

  • National driving license
  • Doctors certificate
  • A valid passport
  • A valid residence permit
  • Passport photo
  • Cash to pay for the exchange

Whether you need to take a driving test in order to exchange your driving license depends on the country in which your license has been issued. You can read more about the different Groups of countries and the different requirements on the link below.

Licenses from other countries

If your license is issued in another country, please check the rules for driving in Denmark.
Please pay attention to the rules specifying how long you can wait before being required to exchange your foreign driver's license for a Danish one.

You can find additional information about driving in Denmark from the Danish police.

Need help?

Contact International Staff Office


Last Updated 16.05.2019