This research area is focused on the assessment and design of sustainable buildings. It looks at the interactions between the natural and built environments and human health. It focuses on passive techniques for enhancing indoor environmental quality, while minimizing impacts on the external environment.
The specific areas of competence are:
- Building Physics – heat, air, moisture and pollutant transfer in the building envelope
- Building Simulation – hygrothermal, airflow, daylighting, and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Indoor Environmental Quality – indoor air and water quality, mold, electromagnetic radiation
- Renewable Energy Systems – solar thermal and photovoltaic systems, power quality, net zero buildings
- Daylighting and Artificial Lighting – window and shading systems design and control, light spectral quality