Contact: Professor Steen Bonnema, email@example.com
The Thyroid Unit at the Department of Endocrinology, OUH, is a primary, secondary and tertiary referral centre for a population of 1.2 million people. The department receives more than 1,500 new referrals annually comprising all aspects of thyroid diseases. Three specialists are dedicated the management of thyroid patients, including performance of a large number of thyroid ultrasound examinations and ultrasound-guided biopsies of thyroid nodules. The Thyroid Unit is a national referral centre for laser photocoagulation therapy of thyroid nodular disease, and for rhTSH-stimulated radioiodine therapy of goiter.
- Clinical trials within the areas of radioiodine therapy, goiter treatment, laser photocoagulation therapy, hypo- and hyperthyroid diseases, thyroid associated orbitopathy.
- Epidemiology of thyroid diseases based on several Danish registries.
- Impact of thyroid diseases on bone structure
- Diagnostic of thyroid nodules (imaging and molecular markers)
- Quality of life issues
- Testing novel technological equipment and solutions
The number of scientific publications is 15-20 yearly.
Senior staff:The group is composed of:
- Professor Steen Bonnema, MD, PhD, DMSc
- Professor Laszlo Hegedüs, MD, DMSc
- Associate Professor Thomas H. Brix, MD, PhD
- Consultant Helle Døssing, MD, PhD, Department of ORL
- Staff specialist Lars Folkestad, MD, PhD
- Kristian Winther, MD, PhD
- Camilla Bøgelund Larsen
- The group also includes pregraduate students Pia Nicolaisen and Maria Lohman Pedersen
National and International collaborators:
- Consultant Frans Brandt, MD, PhD, Sønderborg Hospital, DK
- Marianne Thvilum Kirkegaard, MD, PhD, Aarhus UH, DK
- Ass. Prof. Eva Ebbehøj, MD, PhD; Søren Gregersen, MD, PhD, Aarhus UH, DK
- Kristine Swan, MD PhD, Prof. Claus Gravholt, MD, DMSc, Aarhus UH, DK
- Prof. Henrik Enghusen Poulsen, Copenhagen University, DK
- Associate Prof. Winnie Svendsen, Technical University of Denmar
- ThyQoL collaboration: Torquil Watt, MD, DMSc, and others, Copenhagen University, DK
- EUGOGO collaboration: Prof. Claudio Marcocci, Pisa, Italy, and others
- Prof. Margaret Rayman, University of Surrey, UK.
- Prof. Terry J. Smith, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA.
- Prof. Enrico Papini, Rome, Italy.
- Dr. Hervé Monpeyssen, Paris, France.
- Prof. Ralf Paschke, Calgary, Canada.
- Prof. Endre Nagy, Debrecen; Dr. Tamas Solymosi, Budapest, Hungary.
- Prof. Michael Tuttle, New York; Prof. Douglas Van Nostrand, Washington, USA.
- Gilles Russ, MD, PhD; Paris, France.