Osteoarthritis in the lower extremities has been linked to mortality but we do not know if this is also true for back and neck pain. In this project we use the twin-control method to determine whether different back and neck pain phenotypes are associated with increased mortality. In addition, we apply a novel statistical method (“Inference on Causation from Elimination of Familial Confounding”) to determine whether this relationship is causal.
- Paolo Ferreira, University of Sidney, Australia
- Manuela Ferreira, George Institute for Global Health, Sidney, Australia
- John Hopper, Australian Twin Registry, Melbourne, Australia
- Kaare Christensen, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
- Jan Hartvigsen, University of Southern Denmark and Nordic Institute of Chiropractic and Clinical Biomechanics, Odense, Denmark