At the Department of Biology you can also find several lasers. They are all covered by the safety legislation (see AMI – report no. 30/1990 or later by the Danish Working Environment Authority).
All lasers must be marked with a yellow triangular sign and a square information sign. The safety instructions of the supplier must be followed.
A 20W CW Nd:YAG laser checklist could be:
- Secure that the admission doors are closed
- Make sure you have cooling water – check for leakages
- Remove inflammable and potentially explosive materials
- Remove or cover mirror-like surfaces that might reflect the laser beam
- Use correct eye protection when the laser is on
- Never look into the direct or reflecting laser beam
- Keep the laser beam in a level below normal eye level and behind a curtain
- Have an emergency shutdown prepared
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher near by