The Institute of Language and Communication, University of Southern Denmark, The Centre for Human Interactivity (CHI), Université Paris 13 and Unité Mixte de Recherche 7187 "Lexiques, Dictionnaires, Informatique" Centre National de Recherche Scientifique cordially invite you to take part in the 2nd LangEnact conference on “Meaning without Representation: Grounding Language in Sensorimotor Coordination”. The conference will take place from Monday to Wednesday 25 – 27 September at the University of Southern Denmark, Odense Campus.
Following the success of “Language and Enaction" (Clermont-Ferrand, France, 1-3 June 2016), the Centre for Human Interactivity invites you to contribute to LangEnact II. The second LangEnact conference is coupled to CHIAS V. It is organized by an international committee that includes Stephen Cowley and Sune Vork Steffensen (University of Southern Denmark), Didier Bottineau (Université Paris 13), Michaël Grégoire (Université Clermont Auvergne, LRL) and Alexander Kravchenko (Baikal State University, Irkutsk, Russia). LangEnact II will pursue foundational issues associated with our call for papers. The theme is Meaning without Representation: Grounding Language in Sensorimotor Coordination.
The key research questions will be:
- If sensorimotor activity shapes language systems, to what extent does the diversity of natural languages specify the interactive emergence of linguistic meaning?
- Given that sensorimotor activity already has value, evokes presence, and is thus ‘meaningful’, how is it insinuated into linguistic meaning?
- Given linguistic meaning, language-based categories constrain sensorimotor activity. How, during face-to-face activity, do people concert their sensorimotor activity while drawing on cultural traditions?
- How do individual and collective agents engage with the diversity of languaging and cultural practices in the context of communities, activity-types, and a life span that unites expertise and experience?
The organizers look forward to welcoming you to Odense, the home town of Hans Christian Andersen and the residence of the largest campus of the University of Southern Denmark. Odense is easy to get to, with direct trains from the international Copenhagen Airport, but difficult to leave, with its cosy, easy-going atmosphere. You can read more about how to get here under the bullet Getting to SDU Odense in the right hand menu at the top of the page. In the menu you will also find information about accommodation in Odense.
The LangEnact II /CHIAS V conference will combine intellectual stimulation, engaged scholarship, and a hospitable and friendly atmosphere. We promise you an unforgettable event!
Further information can be found in the bullets on the right. Additional information will be published in the coming weeks – stay updated with LangEnact II/CHIAS V via our Facebook site.
On behalf of the organizing committee:
- Didier Bottineau (Université Paris 13)
- Stephen Cowley (Chair of the organizing committee, University of Southern Denmark)
- Michaël Grégoire (Université Clermont Auvergne, LRL)
- Alexander Kravchenko (Baikal State University)
- Sune Vork Steffensen (Ass. Prof. , University of Southern Denmark)