Group name: Palner Group
Group leader: Mikael Palner
Group members: At SDU: 1 PhD student and 2 master students (Coming in 2021).
At NRU: 2 PhD students, 3 master students and 2 research assistants.
Department & University/Hospital/Other: Department of Clinical Research, Clinical Physiology and Nuclearmedicine, SDU. Neurobiology Research Unit, Copenhagen University Hospital.
Funding sources: Independent research fund denmark, Industrial collaborations
Description of research:
Functional and behavioral effects of wholebrain circuit modulation in the rat. By combining selective stimulation of neuronal pathways we dissect the individual circuit componets, and analyse the effects on behavior and wholebrain functional connectivity. With a special focus on obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and novel treatment options for controling compulsive actions.
- Methodological development of brain functional connectivity measurements in the rat.
- Automated behavioral analysis of compulsive actions in rats.
- Development of novel imaging agents for in vivo assesment of receptors and function.
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic measurements of novel compounds.
- Serotonergic effects on compulsive actions
Key publications (last 10 years):
- Jensen AA, Halberstadt AL, Märcher-Rørsted, Odland AU, Chatha M, Speth N, Liebscher G, Hansen M, Bräuner-Osborne H, Palner M, Andreasen JT, Kristensen JL. The selective 5-HT2A receptor agonist 25CN-NBOH: structure-activity relationship, in vivo pharmacology, and in vitro and ex vivo binding characteristics of [3H] 25CN-NBOH. Biochem. Parmacol, 2020, 177:113979.
- L’Estrade ET, Edgar FG, Xiong M, Shalgunov V, Baerentzen SL, Erlandsson M, Ohlsson TG, Palner M, Knudsen GM, Herth MM. Synthesis, Radiolabeling, In vitro and In vivo Evaluation of [18F]ENL30 – A Potential PET Radiotracer for the 5-HT7 Receptor. ACS Omega, 2019, 4,4, 7344-7353
- L'Estrade ET, Xiong M, Shalgunov V, Edgar FG, Volk B, Bærentzen S, Palner M, Erlandsson M, Ohlsson T, Knudsen GM and Herth MM. Development and Evaluation of Two Potential 5-HT7 Receptor PET Tracers:[18F] ENL09 and [18F] ENL10. ACS Chemical Neuroscience, 2019.
- Berentzen S, Casado A, L’Estrada ET, Edgar FG, Kjaerby C, Lee H, Herth M, Palner M. Clozapine N-oxide induces a dose dependent occupancy of dopamine D2/3 receptors and a reduction of striatal glutamate levels. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 2019
- Palner M, Beinat C, Banister S, Zanderigo F, Park JH, Shen B, Hjoernevik T, Jung JH, Lee BC, Kim SE, Fung L, Chin FT. Effects of common anesthetic agents on [18F]flumazenil binding to the GABAA receptor. EJNMMI Research, 2016 6(1),1-11.
- Castellano JM, Palner M, Li SB, Freeman GM Jr., Nguyen A, Shen B, Stan T, Mosher KI, Chin F, de Lecea L, Luo J, Wyss-Coray T. In vivo assessment of behavioral recovery and circulatory exchange in the peritoneal parabiosis model. Sci. Rep. 2016, 6:29015.
- Shen B, James ML, Andrews L, Lau C, Chen S, Palner M, Miao Z, Arksey NC, Shuhendler A, Scattliffe S, Kaneshige K, Parsons SM, McCurdy CR, Salehi A, Gambhir SS and Chin FT. Further Validation of [18F]FTC-146 for Sigma-1 to Support Clinical Translation. EJNMMI Res 2015, 5(1): 49.
- Palner M, Pu K, Shao S, Jeon J and Rao J. Semiconducting Polymer Nanoparticles with Persistent Near-infrared Luminescence Show Potential for In Vivo Optical Imaging. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54(39): 11477-80.
- Palner M, Shen B, Jeon J, Lin J, Chin FT and Rao J. Preclinical kinetic analysis of the Caspase-3/7 PET tracer [18F]C-SNAT for imaging tumor apoptosis after chemotherapeutic treatment, J. Nucl. Med. 2015, 56(9): 1415-21.
- Shen B1, Jeon J1, Palner M, Ye D, Shuhendler A, Chin FT and Rao J. Positron Emission Tomography Imaging of Drug-Induced Tumor Apoptosis with a Caspase-Triggered Nanoaggregation Probe. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2013, 27(40): 10511-4.
Danish: Neurobiology Research Unit, Copenhagen University Hospital.
Matthias M. Herth Group, Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology, University of Copenhagen.
Jesper Kristensen Group, Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology, University of Copenhagen.
Jesper Andreasen Group, Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology, University of Copenhagen.
Celia Kjaerby, Center for Translational Neuromedicine, University of Copenhagen
Tomáš Páleníček , National Institute of Mental Health, Czech Rep.
Leslie Sombers, Noth Carolina State University, USA.
Compass Pathways, United Kingdom.
In vivo small animal imaging: PET / SPECT / CT
Behavioral assesment: Openfield /Automated video assesment / Operant behavioral boxes (coming 2021)
Selective neuronal stimulation: Chemogenetic viral vectors and neuronal transfection