The communication strategy of Health Sciences is functional. The strategy contains a number of useful instructions on how to react in different situations. The strategy must be well-communicated at the faculty so that all employees will get to know it. So remember to put it on the agenda at meetings and also remember to introduce it to new employees.
Are you doing research? Then take into account research communication from the start of your research project.
The Heads of Departments, the leaders of the research units or the Head of Studies have to develop routines for spotting press release topics:
Where is the good media story hiding that is ready for publicity? The Head of Department can for instance google his area every week and by doing this he might find a good and catchy story.
If the good story has not already gone public, then checking if the sender of the story already has a press network that he can use should be the first thing you do. It is most certainly the author of the story that the press want to get in contact with.
If the sender does not already have a press network then ask him to do this:
- Make a draft of the press release, no more than one sheet of paper that has A4 format
- Create a meaningful headline
- Make a brief explanation which makes sure that the right things get the spotlight
- State the reason for the news
- Find a good photography that illustrates the news (JPG format minimum 200 kb.)
- Find information about who else is mentioned in the press release in terms of cooperation or financing
- Find phone numbers and emails addresses on contact persons that the press can return to
- If necessary get the supplier’s curriculum, so facts are rightly quoted
In cases regarding appointments we ask him/ her to do the following
- Mail a picture (JPG format minimum 200 kb)
- Inform your age
- Education records
- Research area/thesis (or theses)
- Personal background, home town, civil status, kids etc
Furthermore, it is a good idea to add private address and birthday. By doing this you will be mentioned in the paper section about upcoming birthdays.
Funding or awards from research councils, foundations or authorities must be mentioned. If the researcher or giver doesn’t provide publicity we, at the Web & Communication division, are more than willing to help. If you need our expertise, the receiver of the foundation or this persons’ leader must send an email to us with information about:
- Who is the giver?
- What is the amount of money given to the receiver?
- What is the purpose of the present? (an understandable description of the project)
- A photography of the receiver or receivers
- Age (if you like)
- Employment (if you like)
- Area of research/thesis (or theses)
- Personal background, hometown, civil status, kids etc
The author of the PhD thesis sends a so-called auto summary to The Weekly Journal for Doctors (in Danish: Ugeskrift for Læger). Also the author sends a general available abstract and a photo to University of Southern Denmark’s division of Press and Communication and also to the division of Communication and Web at the Faculty of Health Sciences. Communication and Web makes sure that theses not yet published as an article in the magazine New Knowledge (in Danish: Ny Viden) will be released to the press.
The author of the dissertation sends a so-called auto summary to The Weekly Journal for Doctors (in Danish: Ugeskrift for Læger). Also the author sends a general and available abstract and a photo to the University of Southern Denmark’s division of Press and Communication and also to the division of Communication and Web at the Faculty of Health Sciences. Communication and Web makes sure, that dissertations not yet been published as an article in the magazine “New Knowledge”, (Ny Viden) will be released to the press.
All new doctors are interviewed for the magazine New Knowledge (In Danish: Ny Viden). This magazine is send out to about 200 media addresses.
Bring up issues that are already known from previous presentations or talks and specify these issues in a feature. Researchers, Head of Departments, university instructors, and students can better reuse their work when it is summed up in a feature.
Try to arrange talks about health issues for ordinary people, for students, and for politicians. Use the broadcasting “Danskernes Akademi” on DR2 and also use the webpage “Folkeuniversitetet” as platform when arranging these talks. Announce these events in University of Southern Denmark’s calendar, Kultunaut, University of Southern Denmark Web, and through other relevant channels.
Gather all press and name material and place it under “News” on the homepage. Internal news is published in University of Southern Denmark Web.
News can advantageously be presented by focusing on the following:
- Remove phrases that focus on time as for instance “today”, “last year”, “new”, 55year old”. Such formulations are not good on the Internet.
- Divide the text. Divide your text into logical blocs. Find out what are the main subjects in the article and gather this information. Now give every bloc a clear headline
- Remove unnecessary shifts in paragraphs
- Find the keywords in the text. Find the keywords in every paragraph. Take these keywords and place them in the beginning when constructing a sentence. That way the different paragraphs are easily read.
- Make lists. (Lists gives you an overview. You can use both bullet lists and numbered lists)
- Give the text a clear headline. The keywords of the article must be included in the headline, preferably positioned as some of the first words in the sentence structure. That way the text is easily scanned by the receiver of the text.
- Write a resume. Sum up the article in a resume consisting of two to five lines. Place this resume in the place where the text teaser should be
- Add related links. Find related subjects on your webpage and create links
Communication & Web has devised bellow mentioned instructions on how to ensure consistent research dissemination. These instructions are a good guide when building a website for research units. Instruction for institutes and centers can be found at SDUnet. Questions regarding how to build a website can be directed to Mathilde Hollmann.
The educations offered at Health Sciences must be marketed, so we can attract the right students. One of the requirements for the marketing is that is has to be cost-conscious and focused.
Overall, the educations can be separated into three groups and each must be marketed differently:
Master’s degree, the threatened educations and the safe educations
Every year a prioritisation of which educations that especially need marketing must be done.
The process of educational marketing at Health Sciences:
- The description of the education must be visible on the webpage under education overview. There must be a precise presentation at the front page that exactly communicates the qualities of this education compared to other similar educations at other universities.
Person in charge:
The Head of Studies is responsible for the text on the webpage and that this text is correct and sufficient. The division of Communication and Web can guide you regarding the webpage accessibility for potential students. Communication and Web takes care of the webpage data entry consisting of texts and photos. Guidelines for the education overview are followed.
- The Head of Studies, Communication and Web, and marketing make sure that a brochure is developed. This brochure describes the curriculum using easy and understandable terms, so that potential student can understand it.
- The Head of Studies, the external counselling group and the external university instructors use their network to get in touch with potential students. This could be educational institutions, folk schools, municipal authorities, relevant exhibitions and meetings, firms, organisations etc. The Head of Studies can arrange a visit including a talk. It is important to hand out the brochures at these visits. The main idea is to get as close as possible to the potential future students. It is decisive to draw on the experience of the Head of Studies, the external counseling group, and the instructors when you want to catch the attention of the target group.
- The Head of Studies and Communication & Web will also contact the Office of Study’s marketing division, so that the specific education is also visible on Google (Google Adwords ads), in educational supplements, in the daily press, and other publications from Southern University of Denmark. This choice of advertising is carefully considered based on a cost benefit analysis.
- Financial situation: The Office of Studies’ marketing division must offer the necessary amount of money that the faculty needs if a more wide-ranging kind of advertising is needed for specific educations areas.
- It is of highly importance to follow up on advertising by asking the students what made them apply for a certain education. Focus on activities as public mention, advertising, announcements, mails from network, the webpage sdu.dk etc
- The timing of the above mentioned activities has to be scheduled based on the time of application. For every education a “year-wheel” is done, where the marketing activities are written down. This must be done in cooperation with the U&K division
In these “Year-wheels” the following must be incorporated:
For the specific education information about place of advertising, time, network contacts, evaluations must be registered. In practice this can be to register e-mails addresses on relevant networks, to contact intranets in the relevant municipalities, hospitals, educational institutions etc. An overview of relevant exhibitions and interest groups must also be done. .
Time of advertising is regularly discussed. The advertising is evaluated on the status meetings with the educations.
- The profiling of educations should focus more on the good and catchy stories from the different areas of study, projects, and intern ships.
- Please contact the division of Communication and Web if you get to now good stories from the students, so they can be communicated on the webpage, via social media (on University of Southern Denmark’s Facebook page), and in Sund & Hed (Health).
- Unique procedures in terms of acceptance of students, educational structures etc
- Encourage Head of Studies and others to write features in the daily press and also in print media within their respective academic field.
- Make sure to contact electronic media, if a good and concrete education story turns up
- Accreditations of educations with following explanations of what it means.