The EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded for a period of up to two years and support excellent postdoctoral researchers in laboratories throughout Europe and the world. International exchange is a key requirement. Now awarding grants for employment contracts in EMBC countries, EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships also support the career development of the fellows through leadership courses and networking opportunities
EMBO provides grants to the host institution with the sole intention to cover the cost of an employment contract to be issued by the host institution to the awardee. These costs include employer’s social contributions, awardee’s social contributions, taxes as required by national and local laws and regulations, and the net salary of the awardee. The EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowship does not cover bench fees, overheads, funds for consumables or any other financial benefits to the host supervisor or the receiving institute. The grant rate depends on the country being visited. The transfer of funds is regulated by a grant agreement that will be signed by both EMBO and the host institution. The contract between the host institution and the awardee will be issued by the host institution according to the national and local regulations in each of the EMBC Member States.
Main eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must hold a doctorate degree or equivalent at the start of the fellowship.
- Applicants who already hold a PhD at the time of application are eligible to apply only if they obtained it during the two years prior to the date the application is complete.
- Applicants must have at least one first author publication accepted in or published in an international peer reviewed journal at the time of application.
- All applications must involve movement between countries (detailed information about mobility requirements is listed in the EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships guidelines).
- Applications to go to the country in which the PhD was obtained will not be considered.
- Applications to return to a laboratory where the candidate has worked in the past for more than six months, either in one or in several visits will not be considered.
- Applications for an EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowship to be held in the laboratory, institute or department in which the candidate worked to obtain the PhD, or to work again with the candidate's supervisor, no matter where the latter is located, will not be considered.
- Candidates who have already started working in the host laboratory can apply only if they have been working in the host laboratory for less than six months at the time the application is complete.
- Candidates can only submit one application for one project at one host laboratory at each round of selection.
- Reapplication is permissible only once.
There are NO APPLICATION DEADLINES for EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships.
There are TWO ANNUAL EVALUATION DEADLINES for EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships:
Second Friday of February, 14:00 Central European Time: First evaluation deadline. Complete applications up to this deadline will enter the evaluation process. Results for this round will be announced at the end of May or beginning of June.
Second Friday of August, 14:00 Central European Summer Time: Second evaluation deadline. Complete applications up to this deadline will enter the evaluation process. Results for this round will be announced at the end of November or beginning of December.