Scholarship from external grantor

You should apply for a scholarship to cover your own "salary" during the research year. Many private and public research foundations offer scholarships for research year students. 
Your supervisor will know how and where to apply.

Read the fine print!

Make sure that you read and comply with the grantor’s conditions for giving you the scholarship. Some grantors do not allow the grantee to participate actively in a master programme while using the grant.

If you are granted a 12-month scholarship from a grantor under these conditions you must contact the Graduate School in order to find a solution that ensures you comply with the grant conditions.