Double or joint PhD degrees
Research collaborations between SDU and other universities can include students obtaining a double or a joint PhD degree.

  • For double PhD degree, the PhD student receives a diploma from each of the collaborating universities
  • For a joint PhD degree, the PhD student receives one PhD diploma – signed by both universities


    If you are thinking about doing a PhD in collaboration with SDU and another university, there are some things you should consider:

  • Does your project require formalized collaboration between SDU and the other university?

    Otherwise, it is also possible to work across disciplines and spend time at other universities as part of a regular PhD programme, without formalizing the collaboration.  

  • Does the foreign PhD programme compare to the Danish, in terms of gained qualifications?
  • Are there any obvious differences in the PhD programmes, and how are they regulated (guidelines, rules or laws)?

    As the Danish PhD programme is regulated by the Ministerial Order, there are certain requirements which need to be fulfilled, and elements which cannot be changed.

  • Which of the universities will be your home university?

    You will be enrolled as s PhD student at the home university, and the home university is overall responsible for the study programme including admission, employment and administration of the PhD study.

    The tuition fee is usually paid at the home university.

    The thesis is handed in at the home university and is assessed by a committee approved by both universities.

  • Does the university already have an agreement with SDU?

If the universities have made a collaboration agreement, an individual agreement can be made, in reference to this.


Agreeing on a double or joint degree is always an individual agreement and it will take time to get the agreement settled.

An agreement on a double or joint PhD degree must always be signed by both universities and be approved by the Head of the PhD School at the Faculty of Health Sciences. The agreement sets down the conditions concerning the study visits, the PhD programme, supervision, financial matters, assessment, defence and awarding of the PhD degree etc.

Please contact the Graduate School if you are interested in pursuing a double or joint degree.


To give you the best possible experience, this site uses cookies  Read more about cookies

Accept cookies