Research and Study Plan
The head of the PhD School of the Faculty of Engineering must approve the Research and Study Plan no less than three months after the enrolment of the PhD student, cf. the PhD Order.
The minimum requirements for the Research and Study Plan include the following:
1) A time schedule for the PhD project.
2) An agreement about the form of supervision, the method of supervision and how frequently the supervision will take place.
3) A plan for the PhD project, including a poster describing the project.
4) A plan for PhD courses (approx. 30 ECTS credits) pursuant to the Faculty of Engineering’s internal rules governing course activities.
5) A plan for participation in active research environments (including a plan for a change of research environment abroad).
6) A plan for teaching activities or other form of knowledge dissemination (300 hours) pursuant to the Faculty of Engineering’s internal rules governing the dissemination of knowledge.
7) Any agreements governing intellectual property rights.
8) A budget (funding plan) for the individual PhD student’s study programme.
The Research and Study Plan is to be submitted, using the form designed for this purpose, to the Faculty of Engineering’s PhD administration office no later than 2 months after the PhD studies begin. The plan must be approved by the head of the PhD School within three months after the PhD studies begin.
The Research and Study Plan must remain unchanged throughout the student’s PhD programme as an autonomous document describing the starting point for the individual student’s plan for his/her research education.
- The Research and Study Plan does not give direct admission to course participation and is not considered a course registration.
- The student must enclose a poster describing the project which is suitable for publication on the faculty’s website. Thirty knowledge-dissemination hours are allocated for this purpose.
- The knowledge dissemination described in the Research and Study Plan (300 hours) are to be documented before the start of the final year of enrollment (see the chapter on knowledge-dissemination rules).
- The approval of the change of research environment abroad is obtained by having the Research and Study Plan approved. To modify the change of research environment abroad, an exemption must be applied for from the PhD committee using the exemption application form (see section concerning the rules governing the change of research environment).
- Approval of the title of the PhD thesis is obtained by having the Research and Study Plan approved. For changing the title, an exemption from the PhD committee must be applied for using the exemption application form.
If the student does not submit his/her Research and Study Plan on time and if the Plan is not approved within three months from the date of enrolment, the Plan will be considered not approved and the student’s enrolment will cease.