The membrane group at SDU-ChE has specialized in low temperature separation and concentration of high value metabolites and proteins from plant, algae and animal extracts. We further carry out research and development within water purification, wastewater and water treatment, separation and concentration of fertilizers, such as potassium, ammonia and phosphates from animal slurry, and gas separation.
The membrane separation group is active within membrane distillation, microfiltration, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, reverse osmosis, gas separation and forward osmosis. We can perform electrodialysis and dialysis on request. We test and develop new processes, perform processes modelling & scale-up, and perform techno-economic evaluation of the processes.
Examples of research & process applications where we have contributed are:
- Production of irrigation water from sea water using membrane distillation
- Concentration of whey protein and keratin using membrane distillation
- Low temperature concentration of apple and black currant juice using membrane distillation
- Low temperature concentration of birch sap using microfiltration, reverse osmosis and membrane distillation
- Low temperature concentration of secondary metabolites from willow extracts and red clover juice using reverse osmosis
- Separation and concentration of fertilizers from animal slurry using microfiltration, ultrafiltration and membrane distillation