PhD celebration: Knowledge and drive
The largest number of candidates to complete their PhDs was celebrated at a reception at SDU
- When I finished my own PhD, we had to finance the reception ourselves, so all it amounted to was a couple of beers. But I think putting on a celebration for your PhD candidates at the University of Southern Denmark is a great tradition, Vincent F. Hendricks said in the introduction to his cheerful address at this year’s PhD completion event at the University of Southern Denmark.
He is a Doctor of Philosophy and Professor of Formal Philosophy at the University of Copenhagen. In his address, he spoke about knowledge and drive.
Kennedy quote re-written
In the course of his address, Vincent F. Hendricks referred to a famous Kennedy quote in these terms:
- Ask not what science can do for you – ask what you can do for science.
- That was exactly what you did when you started your PhD studies. And now you have some amazing opportunities ahead of you.
The obligations of science
He also underlined the duty to advance the cause of science. And he emphasised the unique position of researchers in delving into aspects of scientific enquiry that the public is entitled to know about.
- Sometimes, you will be able to set the agenda for what the public should be taking an interest in. Because academic research shouldn’t be limited to arguments in the ivory tower, Vincent F. Hendricks asserted, before concluding his address with an academic tip: to hurry up slowly.
The largest number of graduates
In his speech, Vice-Chancellor Henrik Dam said it was a record for 222 candidates to have completed their PhDs within the past year.In his speech, Vice-Chancellor Henrik Dam said it was a record for 222 candidates to have completed their PhDs within the past year.
- And there is a good gender balance. The proportion of foreign students has increased, too, and that is a good thing, because an internationally renowned university is a good Danish university too, Henrik Dam added. He concluded by offering the PhD candidates his congratulations.
- I hope you feel it was worth all the hard work. You have reached the pinnacle, and you can be proud of that achievement.
Pictured here: Vincent F. Hendricks giving his address