The Department of Pathology at Odense University Hospital (OUH), Centre for Clinical Artificial Intelligence (CAI-X) and The Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Institute at the University of Southern Denmark (SDU) are looking for a colleague to investigate ways of bringing state-of-the-art machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) closer to the practical needs of pathologists. The appointment will be as Professor or Associate Professor depending on academic qualifications.
The Department of Pathology is fully digitalized in the first half of 2021 as one of the first pathology departments in Denmark. The Professor/Associate Professor is expected to contribute to the further development of the research strategy and profile of the department, centre and institute, with special emphasis on artificial intelligence in pathology. The main work place will be the department, where you as our new colleague explore the possibilities for as well as develop, choose and implement new AI-solutions together with our technicians, physicians and researchers. The focus may be on specific application areas that lead to cost-efficient and data-efficient solutions, and solutions may include ML, AI paradigms and deep learning, or the combination of machine learning with other AI methods.
We are particularly interested in receiving applications from relevant candidates with experience in the areas of deep learning, trustworthy AI, causal learning, and convergence of AI with other emerging technologies. Applicants’ current research should encompass clinically relevant areas of pathology or of the health sector, and in their future research work with us, the applicant must be motivated to work within the field of diagnostic pathology as one of several possible future areas.
Emphasis will be on the applicants’ proven ability to contribute to the development of new solutions and to secure practical implementation. A purely theoretical approach to artificial intelligence and pathology is not the scope of this position.
The applicant must document (depending on Professor or Associate Professor level):
- An academic degree (PhD, DMSci or equivalent) in a computational or engineering discipline relevant to this position
- Significant results within artificial intelligence with regard to development or implementation.
- A dynamic performance curve as documented by peer-reviewed publications
- Successful track record in obtaining research funding
- International research collaboration and collaboration with researchers in other disciplines and sectors
Leadership and research management experience will be an advantage, and we are looking for a new colleague with effective oral and written communication and interpersonal skills. Mastering Danish language is not required initially, but must be mastered within 2 years.
We offer a position that entails leading and developing a research area of tremendous potential relevance. The major part of the time the Professor/Associate Professor will work at the Department of Pathology but there will also be a tight integration into CAI-X and into the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Institute. There is potential for interdisciplinary collaborations with other departments at SDU and at OUH.
Please do not hesitate to contact Head of Department, Professor Niels Marcussen, email@example.com, (+45) 65414800, if you have any questions regarding the position.
If you experience technical problems you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of employment
The candidate should have a PhD degree within the mentioned research area.
The successful applicant will be employed at SDU and in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Please check links for more information on salary and taxation.
Employment as Professor or Associate Professor is a permanent position.
The expected starting date is 01.08.2021 and will be agreed with the successful candidate.
The assessment process
Read about the Assessment and selection process. Shortlisting may be used.
The faculty expects applicants to read How to apply before applying.
The application must be in English and must include:
- A motivational cover letter indicating whether you are applying for a professorship or associate professorship position
- A draft strategic plan for AI in pathology including research objectives and indicated expectations for activities and implementation
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Certificates/Diplomas (MSc and PhD)
- Information on previous teaching and supervision experience. Please attach as Teaching Portfolio
- List of publications and four selected research articles. Please attach one pdf-file for each publication
- Reference letters and other relevant qualifications may also be included.
- Only for application for professorship: Documentation of leadership experience.
The application deadline is 20.04.2021.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Further information for international applicants about entering and working in Denmark.
Further information about The Faculty of Engineering.