According to the Statute For University of Southern Denmark 2012, the role of the head of department is:
21. The Head of Department undertakes the day-to-day management of the department. The Head of Department’s performance of the duties as referred to in 21 and 22 rests on a delegation letter from the Dean. The Head of Department must be a recognised researcher within one of the educational fields of the department and must have teaching experience and experience in education to the relevant extent, cf. 14(4) of the Danish University Act. The duties of the Head of Department include among other things the planning and distribution of tasks to the employees of the department.
(2) The Head of Department lays down the strategy and the evaluation of research within the given framework. The Head of Department must strive for a productive and stimulating working environment in the department. Within the scope of the Danish University Act, the Head of Department must ensure that the researchers have academic freedom so that the foundation for the formulation of research strategies of the department, the faculty and the university is efficiently ensured.
(3) The Head of Department shall ensure the quality and the coherence of the research and of the teaching of the department.
(4) The Head of Department is responsible for the teaching of the department and must ensure that the teaching delivered is both relevant and qualified. The Head of Department shall ensure that the teaching of the department is delivered in the best possible way academically, pedagogically and didactically. The Head of Studies and the Academic Study Boards shall be included to ensure the aforementioned.
22. The Head of Department has by authority the responsibility for managing the employees of the department. The Head of Department may direct the employees to perform certain duties, including which courses, modules and courses the employee in question will teach; see, however, 14(6) of the Danish University Act.
(2) Within the framework of the budget for its main field of activity, the Head of Department makes a budget and a distribution of funds for the department. The Head of Department may manage the department’s resources within this framework.
(3) The Head of Department shall be informed about additional jobs of employees in accordance with the university rules in this regard. If employees engage in externally financed research projects, the Head of Department must be informed and approve this.
(4) The Head of Department may appoint Deputy Heads of Department and Research Centre Directors and other persons to take on management duties, research assignments or other special functions.