Physical disabilities

Help for students with physical disabilities
Students with physical disabilities can apply for Special Educational Support (SPS).

Students with a documented disability can obtain support in order to ensure that they can complete a study programme on equal terms with their fellow students.

This support is connected solely with you and your ability to complete a programme. It could take the form of secretarial help if you find it difficult to take notes, for instance, or of special chairs and desks if your disability means that you must have special seating arrangements or various types of technical equipment.
On the other hand, it is not possible to obtain assistance with transport to and from the university, transport between campuses or to social activities outside the university, nor in connection with activities in a study group.

The aid facilities and the arrangements that can be granted are individual and can only be obtained on application. You must therefore contact one of the university's SPS counsellors for details of your options. The SPS counsellor in question will apply for support on your behalf – you cannot forward an application yourself.

You can read more about the kind of help normally offered to people with physical disabilities, to the blind or partially-sighted, to the deaf or hearing-impaired on SPSU's website. Also check the type of information a doctor's certificate should typically contain if you want to use it in your application for SPS.

Special support for students at the University of Southern Denmark
The University of Southern Denmark also offers SPS to students with special needs. This might be a need for an exemption in connection with an examination, for instance. Or you might need to use special aids or to take short breaks during an examination. If you have such special needs, you should apply to your Academic Study Board for an exemption. Ask your student counsellor or contact an SPS counsellor.

Some students also have a need for an individual study programme. This could be because it is impossible for them to keep to the standard study period on purely practical grounds or for other reasons. If you are considering this option, you should also contact your student counsellor. He or she will help you to draw up a study programme that lives up to the curriculum requirements, the ministerial order and, as far as possible, to the rules for State Education Grants (SU). If you are in doubt or have any questions, you are also welcome to contact an SPS counsellor.

Finally, there are students with exceptional needs. It is not always possible to fulfil such wishes and needs, but an SPS counsellor will be pleased to help you find a solution if it is at all possible. Under any circumstances, it is better to ask for advice than to wait until matters reach the point at which you experience problems in completing your programme.

More information
If you have any questions, you are welcome to contact SPS counsellors Karoline Pinholt and Pia Cohen at Elite and Support on telephone number 6550 1800 or by e-mail to You can also contact them in person.

To give you the best possible experience, this site uses cookies  Read more about cookies

Accept cookies