Residence Permit

-Nordic citizens

Citizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden are free to enter, reside, study and work in Denmark. They do not need a visa, residence or work permit. Nordic citizens do not apply for a residence permit, but go to the National Register (Borgerservice) to get their CPR no. upon arrival in Denmark. Find more information here.

-EU/EEA or Swiss Citizens

Citizens of an EU country, an EEA country or Switzerland who intend to stay in Denmark for more than 3 months must apply for a certificate of registration at the Regional State Administration. You will need your passport or your identity card, proof of health insurance ( the blue EU health insurance card), 2 passport sized photos and your letter of enrolment. More infrmation is sent to you once you are enrolled. Find more information here.

-Non EU/EEA citizens

As a rule all non-EU/EEA citizens need a visa to study in Denmark, however, there are some who are exempted from having to apply for a visa.

Be aware of limited study period.

  • Students who hold a temporary residence permit "with a view to/possibility of" being granted permanent residence in Denmark do not pay tuition. Your residence permit must state: "mhp. varigt ophold" or "mmf varigt ophold".
  • Children of workers from non-EU/EEA countries having been granted a residence permit pursuant to Section 9M of the Danish Aliens Act and whose parents have been granted residence permits pursuant to Section 9A of the Danish Aliens Act.
  • Students who have a permanent residence permit in one of the Nordic nations (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland or Iceland)*
  • Students with a residence permit granted on the basis of family reunification (if the permanent residence is in Denmark)

*Please note that the country, which issued your permanent residence permit, may revoke your permit if you leave the country to live somewhere else. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of your relocation to Denmark. If your permanent residence permit is revoked you will have to pay tuition fees like all other non-EU/EEA citizens.

How to get the residence permit

In order to obtain a visa you must be fully admitted into a programme at SDU – either as an exchange student or a full degree student (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree). This means that the visa application process cannot be commenced until after you have received confirmation of your admission.

The visa application process starts online when SDU fills out the first part of the ST1 form. Please note that it is not possible for you to start the process before we have filled out part 1 of the form. On the website for The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration Form Guide pdf versions of the ST1 form are available; however, SDU does not use those.

The processing of your application is about to 60 days after the Danish Immigration Service has registered receipt of the full application fee and has received a complete application from you. You must pay to apply, so you must apply immediately on receipt of your enrollment pack.

Upon submitting your application for residence permit at the nearest Embassy or Consulate, you are required to submit your fingerprints and have your photo taken for your residence permit card. Please note that the Consulate or Embassy may be located at quite a distance from your home.

What does it cost

Please note that there is a mandatory fee for applying for a visa to Denmark, which must be paid to The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration. This is a fee that is additional to the application- and tuition fees that SDU requires. Right now the fee is approx. DKK 2315 (Euro 310). You must also provide evidence of financial stability (see below)

Documentation you must include in the application
  • Bank statements from your personal account – you cannot use statements from, e.g. your parents’ accounts. The minimum amount of money you must have in your account is 6015 DKK (2016 level) x 12 months = 72180 DKK.

Please note that your bank must be an international bank with branches in other countries than your own. This also applies to scholarship recipients whose scholarship does not cover living expenses. Please note that if you have already paid the tuition fee for at least the first semester, you do not have to show that you have the abovementioned amount in your account. However, in your ST1 application you must document that you have paid for
the semester*. For further information, please go to this website 

  • The admission letter you received from us through the Application Portal – you can use the letter even if it is a conditional admissions letter.
  • Scholarship recipients must include the letter/email that confirms that they have received a scholarship.
  • If you cannot get an appointment to have your biometrics taken before you must submit the application you should note the date of your appointment in the form.

* Please note that it is an SDU policy that the first tuition fee payment must cover the first two semesters of your

To give you the best possible experience, this site uses cookies  Read more about cookies

Accept cookies