Residence and work permit

1. Nordic citizens

Citizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden are free to enter, reside, study and work in Denmark. They do not need a visa, residence or work permit.

Find more information here. 

2. EU/EEA or Swiss citizens

Citizens of an EU country, an EEA country or Switzerland must apply for a certificate of registration at the Regional State Administration.

Find more information here.

3. Non EU/EEA citizens

Non EU/EEA citizens must apply for a Work and residence permit at the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration. The application can be submitted at the Danish diplomatic mission in the country of origin of the applicant (or the country where the applicant have resided legally for the past three month). The mission will then forward the application to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration in Denmark, where it will be processed. If the applicant is a legal resident of Denmark, the application may be submitted at the Citizen Centre of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration or at a local police station.

The International Staff Office at SDU will start the application process for your work and residence permit.

If you have been invited as a researcher to teach and give lectures, you may do so without a residence and work permit, provided your stay does not exceed three consecutive months, calculated from the day of arrival in Denmark.

Likewise, if you are to work as a researcher or guest researcher attached to SDU you may do so without a work and residence permit, provided your stay does not exceed three consecutive months, calculated from the day of arrival in Denmark.

Citizens of a country with a visa requirement to enter Denmark must obtain a visa valid for the entire stay before arriving in Denmark.

If the applicant expects to remain in Denmark for longer than three months, a work and residence permit must be obtained for the entire period, including the first three months before beginning work. The permit must be obtained prior to arriving in Denmark.

Work and residence permits for researchers are usually valid for the entire period of employment indicated in the job contract.

For more information concerning residence and work permits go to

Please have a look at the checklist relevant for you.

4. Sideline employment

A researcher who wishes to be attached to several Danish universities as a researcher must submit an application for a work permit for sideline employment. Salary and employment conditions must correspond to Danish standards.
The same rules apply to a person with a main employment elsewhere with a residence and work permit on the pay limit scheme who gets a sideline employment at SDU.

Guidelines on how to apply:

  1. Please contact The International Staff Office at SDU who will start the application process by filling out the employer’s part of the AR1-form.
  2. Write in the notes that the application is for a work permit for a sideline employment.
  3. Tick the box that you are exempt from paying a fee.
  4. Attach a copy of your letter of appointment.
  5. Fill out this personal data card, sign it within the designated area and attach a passport photo as described. The personal data card has to be sent by regular mail (not a scan or copy) to The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration, Postbox 2000, 2300 Copenhagen S.

The work permit for sideline employment has to be issued before the work can start.

5. Job search permit after submitting your Ph.D Thesis - 6 months

Below are details on how to apply for a residence permit lasting six months to cover the period between the time you submit your PhD thesis and the date on which you are called to defend it - beware that these guidelines only apply to individuals who originate outside the EU/EEA and the Nordic region and only to PhD employees that does not have a work and residence permit that includes 6 months of job search period (typically, PhD employment letters from 2012-2014):

Decisions concerning getting a "job search" permit are made at the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration, known as Styrelsen for International Rekruttering og Integration/SIRI.

Guidelines, according to SIRI how to apply:

  1. The International Staff Office will fill out SDU's part of the application form PHD2 and forward a reference number and password to you.
  2. Please create a case order ID at
    You choose the category Extension for PhD – amount DKK 2.315.
  3. Pay the fee to SIRI – per 1 January 2017 the fee is DKK 2,315.
  4. Fill in the PHD2 application form online and submit it.
  5. Enclose the Confirmation that the PhD thesis has been submitted to SDU (can be obtained from the PhD School)
  6. Enclose documentation on how you are able to support yourself financially during the months of extension of the Residence permit.
    This documentation should be in the form of a transcript from a Danish bank stating that you as the holder of the account have at least DKK 6,015 at your disposal each month.
    The amount for a family member is for the time being also: DKK 6,015 per family member per month.
  7. Application for the Job search permit must be submitted to the Citizen Center at the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration at the latest the day before your current permit expires - otherwise you will have to apply from your home country.
  8. To apply for the Job search permit you need to appear in person to have your biometric features (digital facial image and fingerprints) recorded in connection with the application being submitted.

In Denmark you can do this at the local police station or at the Citizen Centre of SIRI, Njalsgade 72C, 2300 Copenhagen S.
If SIRI accepts your application for processing, you may normally stay in Denmark while your application is being processed.

The Job search permit:

  • Has a fee according to SIRI
  • Will be granted from SIRI 1 month after they receive a complete application. A residence card will also be send to your Danish address approx. 14 days after the permit has been granted from SIRI.
  • is a residence permit – and a work permit covering up to 20 hours work per week anywhere in Denmark
  • does allow you to travel outside of Denmark during the permit’s period.

To give you the best possible experience, this site uses cookies  Read more about cookies

Accept cookies