Unemployment Insurance

You can take out an unemployment insurance policy from an unemployment insurance fund, known as an “A-kasse”.

These unemployment insurance funds are private associations that are associated with trade unions and other professional organisations.
Please note that a membership of an unemployment insurance fund is voluntary in Denmark. Because of that you are NOT automatically insured against unemployment.
It is possible to become a member of an unemployment insurance fund without being a member of the associated trade union.

You can become a member of an unemployment insurance fund if you are between 18-63 years of age and reside in Denmark (or another EU/EEA country and work in Denmark). You can be full-time or part-time insured.

To be entitled to unemployment benefits if you become unemployed, you must have had at least 52 weeks of work within the last three years and been a member of an unemployment insurance fund for at least one year.
Unemployment insurance periods earned in another EU/EEA country can be included when calculating entitlement to unemployment benefits. These periods must be documented using form E 301, which is issued by the unemployment insurance institution in the country this work was performed.

Please note that there are special rules for cross-border commuters.


  •  Consider if membership of an unemployment fund could be a good idea in your case
  • Contact an “A-kasse” to learn more about conditions, prices etc.

Find more information at WorkinDenmark.

To give you the best possible experience, this site uses cookies  Read more about cookies

Accept cookies