Visa requirements

General conditions

Your passport or other form of valid travel document must be valid for three months past the visa expiration date. Moreover, the passport or travel document must have been issued within the past 10 years.

You must have the necessary means to pay for your stay and return trip. What will be considered as necessary funds will be determined by the Danish diplomatic mission and depends on the length of your stay, and whether you will stay at a hotel or with friends or family. As a general rule, you must have at your disposal approx. DKK 350 per day. A smaller amount may be accepted if you are staying in a private home and your host will cover all costs. If you are staying at a hotel, the amount must be greater, approx. DKK 500 per day.

You must hold a travel insurance policy to cover possible expenses in connection with a return for health reasons or death, indispensable medical treatment or acute hospitalization during your stay. The insurance policy must cover all Schengen countries, and the minimum policy coverage is €30.000. The insurance policy must be valid for the same period as the visa. The validity of the visa may be shortened if the insurance policy does not cover the entire period.

You can read more about the general conditions for a visa at the Danish Immigration Service website.

Nordic/EU/EEA citizens

Citizens of one of the Nordic Countries and citizens from EU/EEA citizens can work and live in Denmark without a visa.

Non Nordic/EU/EEA-citizens

If you are a non Nordic/EU/EEA-citizen from a country, where you need a visa to visit Denmark, you need to apply for a visa to be able to stay in Denmark for a period shorter than 3 month (90 days). When you have received an invitation from the Department you are going to visit, you have to apply for a visa at a Danish Diplomatic Mission. You can find a list for all Danish Diplomatic Missions in the world here at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark website.

You can read more about which countries that need a visa to Denmark at the Danish Immigration Service website.

How to apply

Before you go to the Danish Diplomatic Mission to apply for a visa, you have to get an invitation called VU1 (business visa) filled out by the Department at the University of Southern Denmark that you are going to visit. You can find the form at the Danish Immigration Service website here. The Department can get help from the International Staff Office to fill out the invitation form.

You also have to get an official invitation signed by the host (the person that invites you to SDU), as this is something the Danish Diplomatic Missions wants to see because they compare it with the VU1-invitation.

You can read more about how to apply at the Danish Immigration Service website.

To give you the best possible experience, this site uses cookies  Read more about cookies

Accept cookies