You will get insight into and hands-on experience with the functionality of environmental technologies for the treatment of bio-waste and in particular animal manures.
Specific themes of the course are:
• Separation of phosphorous and dry matter from bio-waste through application of mechanical separation with or without additions of coagulants (iron and aluminium salts) and flocculants (polymers)
• Reactor technologies for biogas (methane) production from bio-waste materials
• Technologies for the reduction of the emission of odour, ammonia and greenhouse gases from stored bio-waste
• Bio-waste land application techniques to reduce ammonia emissions
• Sampling and analysis of bio-waste – for the assessment of nutrient mass balances and losses to the environment
• System analysis of bio-waste management options with the use of mathematical models
Social and cultural programme
During the course social evenings will be organised.
The student will participate in a tour to farms having installed biogas and separation technology. In the tour a social evening will be organised.