This summer course will take place on Iceland and have the focus on geobiology and microorganisms living in geothermal sites. You will receive interdisciplinary training in the interface between microbiology, molecular ecology, biogeochemistry and geology in order to understand how microorganisms influences element cycling of hot springs today and through Earth history. The course is open for all master students holding a bachelor in biology, chemistry or geology.
- Field measurements and sampling in hot springs
- Description of the microbiology in hydrothermal springs
- Introduction in genomics and bioinformatics of thermophilic microorganisms
- Biogeochemistry of redox-sensible compounds and volatiles
- Characterization of hydrothermal deposits
- Life on early Earth
Application deadline for master students: March 22nd 2013
Application form (Word)
Application form (pdf)
The field course in Geobiology is supported by NordPlus.
See course description
Please send your application by email to secretary Merete Jørgensen email@example.com