The Department of Business and Economics is a department under the Faculty of Business and Social Sciences. The department has locations in Odense, Slagelse and Sønderborg. Jan Guldager Jørgensen is the Head of Department.
The department has a strong tradition for high-quality research within the fields of economics and business. The research covers both theoretical and empirical subjects, but the use of economic theory and quantitative methods, such as mathematics, statistics, econometrics and computer science, characterizes most research projects.
The research activities at the department are organized within four groups:
- Accounting and Finance
- Econometrics and Management Science
- Macroeconomics, Trade and Economic History
The cross-faculty centre COHERE, which undertakes research in health economics, is connected with the department, and so is COHERE Analysis, which carries out socio-economic research-based analyses on request.
The teaching activities are similary organized in four groups, and the department has a strong tradition for high-quality teaching with an emphasis on pedagogical development and use of IT tools to enhance student learning.
The study programmes taught at the department are:
- BSc Economics (Business Econ./Socio-Econ.) and MSc Economics (Odense)
- BSc and MSc Mathematics-Economics (Odense)
- BSc Economics and Business Administration, BM, MSc Economics and Business Administration and MSc Business Economics and Auditing (Odense)
- BSc Economics and Business Administration (Slagelse)
- BSc and MSc Economics and Business Administration (Sønderborg)
- BA int./SPRØK (Sønderborg)
- BSc and MSc in European Studies (Sønderborg)
In addition, the department is involved in continuing and further education programmes, such as HD, MBA, MPM and FMOL. Read more
The department offers a talent programme for present and future graduate students. The purpose is to give ambitious and talented students in one of the MSc programmes in economics or mathematics-economics the opportunity to strenghten their competences and acquire additional qualifications through special initiatives.
The department wishes to strengthen its competences through collaboration with public and private organizations nationally as well as internationally through the unit COHERE Analysis. The unit offers research-based consultancy in the form of economic analyses.