The PhD programmes contains five elements
- a research project, which is completed with a thesis and a public defense
- the complesion of a thesis on the basis of the research project
- participation in coursework at PhD level (30 ECTS)
- participation in actice research environments outside the university of Southern Denmark (change of environment)
- teaching activity or other knowledge dissemination of around 300 working hours
The Research Project
The research project of the PhD student is the main element of the training programme, and is carried out under supervision by one or more supervisors. The project is concluded with the delivery of a thesis and a public defense of the thesis. A PhD thesis must as a main rule contain articles of the highest academic level, which can be published internationally. Respecting, of course, the publishing traditions of the research area. See guidelines for the thesis
All PhD studetns must complete course work equivalent to around 30 ECTS. The courses must e approved by the PhD committee. The courses aim at giving the student academic width as well as forming the basis og his/her project. The academic width aims at improving the job opportunities of the PhD student after awardment of the degree. Read more on courses.
According to the PhD Order, the PhD student should gain experience in teaching or other forms of knowledge dissemination. all dissemination activities must be approved by the PhD Committee. Read more on knowledge dissemination.
Change of Environment
The PhD Order states that the PhD student should participate in active research environments, including stays at other, mainly foreign, research institutions. Read more on change of environment.